New Barrels for Forum Members

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Boatboy , that’s my plan just need to source a barrel, I’ve seen some vastly different prices from £100 to £200 without shipping for a 20 litre barrel , hard to establish quality of each item as it’s a niche product, UK forums mostly beer oriented so little advice to be had. Thanks

Hi Boatboy , that’s my plan just need to source a barrel, I’ve seen some vastly different prices from £100 to £200 without shipping for a 20 litre barrel , hard to establish quality of each item as it’s a niche product, UK forums mostly beer oriented so little advice to be had. Thanks
Food for thought regarding no available grapes. Frozen must is the same as buying fresh grapes. Not sure about France but I know Spain sells and ships frozen must all over. And I believe Italy does as well

Hi Will,

I do the RJS EnPrimeur kits with skins and use an 19L oak barrel. They spend 6 months in the barrel and generally age for 2 years total before drinking. I am sure that grapes or frozen must would be better but I feel the wine from these kits are very good and the real issue will be finding the variety that you enjoy.

Hi Will,

I do the RJS EnPrimeur kits with skins and use an 19L oak barrel. They spend 6 months in the barrel and generally age for 2 years total before drinking. I am sure that grapes or frozen must would be better but I feel the wine from these kits are very good and the real issue will be finding the variety that you enjoy.
Hi thanks for your reply, Do you rack to barrel after clearing or rack again, and do you leave wine in carboy long before moving to oak barrel, thanks just at planning stage and taking advice, thanks Will

I let the wine age in a 23L carboy ~6 months after fermentation (racked a couple of times) then rack to the 19L barrel for 6 months topping up monthly (I bottle the leftovers from the carboy into 375 ml and use them for topping up). After I rack out of the barrel to a 19L carboy for 1-2 months just in case it drops some sediment. Bottle and generally wait 9 months before drinking (I don't even sample the high end red kits until they are a minimum of 24 months from the start of fermentation)

The other thing is to make sure you have another wine ready to go into the barrel. After the wine comes out I rinse the barrel with Hot water, then with a kmeta solutions then rack the next wine into it.

Good morning Fred!

I’m paging through this thread and am thinking seriously about a barrel for my wine from fresh grapes. I’ve only done fall grapes though. So, doing spring grapes might be a new requirement for me.

Still have extras? Given my current wine making, a 40L probably makes the most sense for me (thoughI guess I could split batches in a 25 or 30L too).

Never used a barrel before and I’ve been at this for almost 6 years now. Maybe it’s time.

They are all medium toast.

Okay - I want one. And the price is unbeatable (either $180 or $190, right?)

Now, which one? 30 or 40L? If recent history is any indicator, I usually wind up with 15+/- gallons of finished wine in the fall. I typically do kits one-varietal-and-a-time, but I see value in doing two-at-a-time instead. What do you suggest?

Latest posts

Back