New Barrels for Forum Members

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@jsbeckton I had this same issue. Except with wine not water. Did all kinds of preventative maintenance
Hot soak in AND out
Tighten rings
Beeswax at leaky spots
Butcher block oil around barrel.
I did throughly hot soak seal the barrel beforehand (outside heads and barrel soak as well) and again after. Basically had all the same people offering advice. Probably was this thread too lol.
Tightened the rings with wine in it freshly topped up (not reccomended! Solid bung and wine shot across the room like a bullet!) and retightened ALL of them when emptied. (Grinded an old chisel flat)
I ended up coating the inside corner where the head meets the staves with beeswax like a caulk joint almost. Seep stopped. Only to just find different penetration points. I also did 1 coat of butcher block oil around the whole barrel Never noticed any slowing in the evaporation rate from it. And haven’t needed to do any maintenance since. Not sure what was the specific fix was. Just offering my experiences for reference.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Before I did the initial soak I tightened the hoops pretty good with a dull masonry chisel but maybe it still needs a fee more taps. If there is no harm I’d have no problem putting beeswax on the trouble spot. Two questions:

Where can I get beeswax?
Does the barrel need to be dry before adding it or can I spot fix once full if it starts seeping?

Thanks!

Thanks. It’s bone dry again so tempted to just fill it with wine and see if it holds but maybe I should redo the swelling procedure...

Thanks. It’s bone dry again so tempted to just fill it with wine and see if it holds but maybe I should redo the swelling procedure...

I've gone through all of the prep procedures on barrels in the past and had them leak a bit. None of the leaks were substantial and all sealed themselves up within a few days to a week or so. Perhaps the sediment in a new wine plugs the hole, maybe just the prolonged contact / swelling from the wine, I don't know. A little spritz of k-meta on the wine stained areas cleaned them right up and never had another issue. I'm not telling you to fill it, but if the leak isn't substantial, you may just get away with it.

That weeping was pretty common when I used barrels. I would apply a pinch of K meta crystals on leak, rubbing into a paste. No effect on leak, just kept mold away. Tried everything with some weepers to no avail, others were tighter than a clam.

Well, I decided to just drain, tighten the hoops again, then redo the hot soak. It’s been about 6hrs since I refilled with cold water and so far no leaks but think it was also good the first day last time so will see how it looks tomorrow.

Holding strong here the next day. If it’s still dry tomorrow I’ll fill it with wine.

Are those of you that have to AIO just using a racking cane to get the wine in or do you have a bigger adaptor for the larger barrel bung size?

Last edited:
Holding strong here the next day. If it’s still dry tomorrow I’ll fill it with wine.

Are those of you that have to AIO just using a racking cane to get the wine in or do you have a bigger adaptor for the larger barrel bung size?

Steve makes one for a barrel. You might have,to let him know it's a 9.5 and not a 10

Will do. I have noticed that during the cold soak I was losing about 1/3 cup a day or so. How often should I be topping up during barrel aging?

Initially, your loss will be quicker, as the barrel becomes saturated, just check it every week or so for the first month or so. After that, monthly should be sufficient for topping up / sulfite checking. When I filled my 60 last year, it took almost a bottle a week in the beginning, that toned down to about a half bottle a month, which is about where it is now.

Speaking of top up, just how high are you guys topping up your barrels? It seems pretty easy to leave just a 1/2” space with a carboy but given the barrel doesn’t have a neck I’m not exactly sure what to shoot for. I tried filling just to the bottom of the tapered opening and putting a solid bung on but it’s seeping out around the bung, maybe from the CO2 escaping with the nucleation points?

Anyways, am I filling too high or do I just need an airlock to allow for some offgassing (has been vac racked 2x already)?

Speaking of top up, just how high are you guys topping up your barrels? It seems pretty easy to leave just a 1/2” space with a carboy but given the barrel doesn’t have a neck I’m not exactly sure what to shoot for. I tried filling just to the bottom of the tapered opening and putting a solid bung on but it’s seeping out around the bung, maybe from the CO2 escaping with the nucleation points?

Anyways, am I filling too high or do I just need an airlock to allow for some offgassing (has been vac racked 2x already)?

I struggle with that myself. Even if I put it 1/2" below the bottom of the opening I still sometimes get the seepage and they are in a controlled environment.

I fill my barrels to the bottom of the tapered hole, spray sulfite into the hole and on the bung, then twist / push the bung down into the opening. If it seeps a bit around the hole, just wipe it off with a clean cloth. I always finish up by spraying sulfite solution on the outside of the bung and surrounding barrel wood, which removes the red wine stains and sanitizes the area.

Ok, thought it might have something to do with the CO2 because the water didn’t seem to seep at all during the cold soak.

I remember similar issues when I was using a barrel, for a new wine the CO2 and wood nucleation is a factor, leaving a little space and using an airlock for a while may be helpful.

I remember similar issues when I was using a barrel, for a new wine the CO2 and wood nucleation is a factor, leaving a little space and using an airlock for a while may be helpful.

Thanks.

I noticed you seem to indicate that you no longer use a barrel. Any reason for the change? I’m hoping that the barrel takes my wines to the next level but maybe I’m too optimistic.

Over the years I went through a couple new 30gal barrels, one American and one French, used them as neutral for several years, then purchased the Flex tanks primarily for convenience and easy empty storage. The barrels and stands were taking up space, so I gave them all to a home-brew friend of a family member; I was supposed to get a taste of the beer they were reportedly going to age in the barrels, but haven't heard from them since.
I'm sure the barrel will take your wine to the next level.

For info on importing Canadian Grapes, crushed and destemed.
I have been buying juice and grapes and barrels from Watsons Barrels for 25 years.
They grow their own grapes. Excellent quality and pricing since the Cdn $ is at 75 cents US$.
I have inpirted Grapes, crushed, and Barrelx several times I to the US. ( since I live in TN) no import duty at all.
As long as you say, for personal consumption.
Over the years I have never paid a cent in duty fees.
They sell Zemplen barrels, my latest had zero leaks with water and wine.
If buying a Barrel you will pay 13% purchase Tax, Cdn$ still cheaper because of the $ diferential.

Latest posts

Back