New barrel

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WillShill

Reaction score
Hi I’ve am able to source for delivery a new oak barrel later this week, my concern is I haven’t got wine ready to age for at least 4 months, is it too early to purchase now or can store it some way which prevents problems and then prep prior to adding wine. Thanks newbie looking knowledge.

Hi I’ve am able to source for delivery a new oak barrel later this week, my concern is I haven’t got wine ready to age for at least 4 months, is it too early to purchase now or can store it some way which prevents problems and then prep prior to adding wine. Thanks newbie looking knowledge.
You can safely store it at home til you’re ready, and I’ve done so many times. Simply leave it shrink wrapped up when you receive it, and it it’s not shrink wrapped when you get it, buy a roll of clear plastic wrap and do it yourself. It’s all an effort to keep it from drying out too much before you load it up.

Thanks , I have a Vitners Reserve Diablo Roja ageing at the moment but I’m feeling all pretentious now so am searching for a kit with skins to use but I think covid has reduced supplies as every website seems to be out of stock at the moment. Although I’ve seen a few Winexpert LE19 kits which are interesting but over £100 delivered so a big jump in my budget. Thoughts anyone ?

In my opinion, any red wine kit with grape skins will produce a better wine than one without.

In my opinion, any red wine kit with grape skins will produce a better wine than one without.
Hi I’ve just found the UK only source of Grape Skin packs , “ I stand to be corrected on that “ it’s a Mosti Mondiale brand and it’s 4KG / 9lb weight, that seems quite a lot in a 23 litre kit , most videos I’ve seen look to have a smaller pack so I was thinking of splitting it into 2 kits, any thoughts??

Hi I’ve just found the UK only source of Grape Skin packs , “ I stand to be corrected on that “ it’s a Mosti Mondiale brand and it’s 4KG / 9lb weight, that seems quite a lot in a 23 litre kit , most videos I’ve seen look to have a smaller pack so I was thinking of splitting it into 2 kits, any thoughts??

I'm not sure how it compares, but I think the ones that I've used are around 2 liters. 4KG sounds like it might be about that.

2 litres would roughly equate to 2kg , metric system 1 litre 1000ml of water weighs 1 kg 1000g , I prefer pounds and ounces myself , so 4KG pack would do 2 kits, as I’ve got my new 5 gallon barrel and everyone suggests keeping it permanently wet , maybe I should start two kits with fermentation time between each kit . Only concern are could I freeze half a grape pack and have enough space and carboys to keep barrel wet.

If you have the equipment, I see no reason not to start both at the same time. If you can't do that, keep the grape pack in the fridge for the week that the first kit is fermenting and then immediately start the second when the first goes into secondary fermentation.

Probably just have enough equipment although I may need to use 1 gallon jugs to age prior to barrelling , would this be a problem, I’ve quite a few and a friend is getting rid of his so can get more if necessary.

Latest posts

Back