New Barrel Prep??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StreetGlide

Reaction score
I am getting ready to use my new 5gal barrels. I used boiling water inside and on the outside of the heads. I then drained and filled them with cold water. They have been sitting a little over 24 hrs and thankfully no leaks. My question is, the directions I got with the barrels is that they are now ready. They don’t talk about sanitizing at all. Is this correct? If not how do I want to sanitize these barrels? Thank you.

Doesn't really need sanitizing. It's ready to go but beware that water has an SG of 1.000 and wine is less than that (0.994 or so) so it may leak a bit of wine since it's thinner than water but it should stop soon if it does.

Doesn't really need sanitizing. It's ready to go but beware that water has an SG of 1.000 and wine is less than that (0.994 or so) so it may leak a bit of wine since it's thinner than water but it should stop soon if it does.

Thank you.

Do you have some wax in the ready in case there are leaks. What barrel company did you use? I just conditioned and then filled my 2.5 gal new oak keg with my Marquette. I had exactly what ibg stated above. No water leaks but just a couple wine leaks quickly fixed by wax. Good luck.

Do you have some wax in the ready in case there are leaks. What barrel company did you use? I just conditioned and then filled my 2.5 gal new oak keg with my Marquette. I had exactly what ibg stated above. No water leaks but just a couple wine leaks quickly fixed by wax. Good luck.

Only seepage I had was around one of the oak bungs. I lowered the level to bottom of the hole and it stopped.
The bigger problem is that the barrels which were sold as 5 gal are much closer to 6 gal and I did not have enough to fill either to capacity so had to top with “like wine”. When using wine from grapes this won’t be an issue, but I ordered glass beads to take up space when using kits.

Only seepage I had was around one of the oak bungs. I lowered the level to bottom of the hole and it stopped.
The bigger problem is that the barrels which were sold as 5 gal are much closer to 6 gal and I did not have enough to fill either to capacity so had to top with “like wine”. When using wine from grapes this won’t be an issue, but I ordered glass beads to take up space when using kits.

??? Kits are typically 6 gallons so it seems you should be good.

??? Kits are typically 6 gallons so it seems you should be good.

Have you ever got a full 6 gals after letting it clear and racking? Seems after that I’m always at about 5.5 . Then the evaporation of the barrel and topping that up will be more. So I think Glass beads is my only way to use a 6 gal barrel with kit wine

Have you ever got a full 6 gals after letting it clear and racking? Seems after that I’m always at about 5.5 . Then the evaporation of the barrel and topping that up will be more. So I think Glass beads is my only way to use a 6 gal barrel with kit wine

I’m always much closer to 6g than 5g. Personally I don’t give a second though to topping up with a similar wine. This, to me, is a lot easier than messing around with glass beads or head space eliminators.

On my first kit I just used commercial wine but since then I now have a good supply on hand for topping up.

I’m always much closer to 6g than 5g. Personally I don’t give a second though to topping up with a similar wine. This, to me, is a lot easier than messing around with glass beads or head space eliminators.

On my first kit I just used commercial wine but since then I now have a good supply on hand for topping up.

Yes I agree if I had a supply built up, I just hate using commercial wine. Once I have a supply I will go back to topping up for sure.

Yes I agree if I had a supply built up, I just hate using commercial wine. Once I have a supply I will go back to topping up for sure.

Philosophical or do you actually think it’s going to have a big impact on your wine? If you can taste the difference of a similar wine at 30:1 ratio you should be working as a master taster!

Also, you better have a lot of marbles/beads on hand even after your initial fill because a new barrel in low humidity if going to lose volume due to evaporation and you will also need to be tasting regularly to ensure you don’t overdo it.

No I know I could not taste it, and I know that topping off would be easier. Just never liked using commercial wine to top with. Though, you definitely have me realizing I probably should because it’s temporary. In 12-24 months it won’t be an issue.

Back