New banana started

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s not banana wine but I have a Japanese plum or Loquat wine that is near ending primary fermentation and I racked off to carboys but have PLENTY pectin haze and/or lees,about half of 5 gallon carboy and half of 2 one gallon jugs. I added recommended amount of Pectic enzyme prior to fermentation 2 weeks ago. Do I let it sit awhile and rack? Rack what I can now and put cloudy liquid in referigerator and hopefully get more clean wine if lees compacts? Current SG 1.01.
Any advice?
I see occasional small bubbles in carboy but airlock not moving. I’m assuming still some small amount of residual fermentation ongoing.
I don’t know how to insert picture, sorry.

Now you've done it. My wife puts the overripe bananas in the freezer. I may have to plead my case for a small batch. If it wins her approval then....

And that would save my feet from dodging falling frozen bananas when the freezer is opened.

Now you've done it. My wife puts the overripe bananas in the freezer. I may have to plead my case for a small batch. If it wins her approval then....

And that would save my feet from dodging falling frozen bananas when the freezer is opened.
Just think about all that delicious wine.

Has anyone tried Amylase enzyme to try and break down the banana?

The idea is based on this:

I just started freezing bananas in vacuum bags. Hopefully I’ll have enough soon to be able to make this recipe. I’ll only do 5-6 gallons of it though so i guess that I’ll need about 80 lbs?

I just started freezing bananas in vacuum bags. Hopefully I’ll have enough soon to be able to make this recipe. I’ll only do 5-6 gallons of it though so i guess that I’ll need about 80 lbs?

My better half brought 9 bags home Friday, go 36 lbs peeled for 18.00. Got 76 lbs 8 oz in the freezer. Another 20 or so and I can start the next batch.

And yes, 80 lbs should get you around 7 to 8 gallons, not including the apple juice (2 gallons) to dissolve the sugar in.

Super grateful for the insights here!

I have to say, dralarms' recipe flies in the face of the younger wisdom like what you'd see on YouTube... where's the yeast nutrient? Where's the wine tannin? Where's the pH reading? According to what I've read you absolutely don't want to ferment above pH of 4.1, and yet bananas have a much higher pH. And while a little white grape or apple juice can lower it a bit, not nearly enough without adding extra tartaric acid. I wonder... these young guys, if they tasted your wine, would they call it "unbalanced"? They always want to add brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, peanut butter, etc

Well I WANT it to taste like pure clean banana, so I'll probably stick close to your recipe, dralarms, adjusting with tartaric if needed. Wish me luck!

Last edited:
Ope, just thought of this, tartaric acid interacts with potassium to create potassium bitartrate a.k.a. cream of tartar. This page explains it: A Detailed Explanation of Acids Used in Wine Making

Well, what well-known fruit contains oodles of potassium? But it shouldn't be a problem, just that a portion of the added acid would be lost, and it takes a long time to precipitate out, though cold crashing may speed that up. I will be taking a pH reading after adding the white grape juice. I hope it's low enough because I'm not excited about adding tons of acid

Latest posts

Back