New banana started

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I’d reckon that about 80 # would yield a 6 gallon carboy worth if the proper amount of AJ was added. Just curious, I’ve read that some use the skins too, any wisdom to share?

So I’d reckon that about 80 # would yield a 6 gallon carboy worth if the proper amount of AJ was added. Just curious, I’ve read that some use the skins too, any wisdom to share?
I don’t use peels sine bananas are highly sprayed with pesticides.

On 80 lbs I would use about 1, maybe 1.5 gallons of apple juice.

Nah, my wife buys bananas every week and what’s left at the end of the week goes in the freezer, also she goes by Ingles and gets their “bagged” bananas, I usually end up with 15 lbs for 6 bucks. And that’s peeled weight

I’m just a little confused, checked brix last night and with no sugar added it was 23.2. First time I actually checked the brix on the banana. I now know why it’ll knock your socks off if you’re not used to it, I usually add sugar and then it ferments dry so it’s really stout.

I’m just a little confused, checked brix last night and with no sugar added it was 23.2. First time I actually checked the brix on the banana. I now know why it’ll knock your socks off if you’re not used to it, I usually add sugar and then it ferments dry so it’s really stout.

Possible that the banana hasn’t broken down into to the mix yet and you just measured the apple juice BRIX?

Possible that the banana hasn’t broken down into to the mix yet and you just measured the apple juice BRIX?

At the time I measured it had not been stirred and the apple juice went straight to the bottom. And apple juice usually comes in at 16 to 18 brix

Sorry I'm late to the party! I'm real interested in this!
I see a texture.... is that fermenting bags that the bananas are in?
I'm collecting them, mine are a little more brown.
@ 3 / lb I figured I needed 200 bananas to make 5 gal....was wondering how I'd fit that into 5 gal buckets, lol!

In the picture it looks like there is a texture on them, maybe it came off of whatever you froze them in?

Will the pectic enzyme do most of the mashing/dissolving?

Thanks for posting this by the way!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back