New at this

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winefarm

Junior
Reaction score
Hi all, I made my name as Winefarm because I farm in MS and want to start making some fruit wines on the side as a hobby. Some members of my family have a winery in Napa (one runs it) but I do not have any inolvement in it. It is called Tallulah wines.

Last edited:
Hi Winefarm,

Welcome. Do you have any particular wine that you want to start out with?

Yes, welcome aboard Winefarm.

Glad you found our forum.

What have you made? What would you like to make??

Thanks for the welcome y'all.
I just started my first two batches of wine (Welch's) today based on some instructions I found on jack keller's page using google. Google is also how I found this place. I just started a gallon of 100% concord and a gallon of 100% white grape and raspberry.
I will post on the beginners forum about it because I have a few questions.
I would like to make a variety of wines in the future such as elderberry, blueberry, and strawberry, to name a few.

Be careful with most other recipes as they are usually high abv and low on taste IMO. Can you pst the recipe and the starting sg?

Thanks for the welcome y'all.
I just started my first two batches of wine (Welch's) today based on some instructions I found on jack keller's page using google. Google is also how I found this place. I just started a gallon of 100% concord and a gallon of 100% white grape and raspberry.
I will post on the beginners forum about it because I have a few questions.
I would like to make a variety of wines in the future such as elderberry, blueberry, and strawberry, to name a few.

I have made the raspberry and white grape one and it turned out pretty good, did you use 3 cans per gallon? I did make the concord but I was experimenting with it and added cranberry with it. It is currently aging but when I bottled it tasted pretty good.

response to Wade E

Welch's Frozen Grape Juice Wine

* 2 cans (11.5 oz) Welch's 100% frozen grape concentrate
* 1-1/4 lbs granulated sugar
* 2 tsp acid blend
* 1 tsp pectic enzyme
* 1 tsp yeast nutrient
* water to make 1 gallon
* wine yeast

Bring 1 quart water to boil and dissolve the sugar in the water. Remove from heat and add frozen concentrate. Add additional water to make one gallon and pour into secondary. Add remaining ingredients except yeast. Cover with napkin fastened with rubber band and set aside 12 hours. Add activated wine yeast and recover with napkin. When active fermentation slows down (about 5 days), fit airlock. When clear, rack, top up and refit airlock. After additional 30 days, stabilize, sweeten if desired and rack into bottles.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
**Wade E, the Hydrometer I have has readings accurate at 60 degrees it says. So I took temp readings but haven't made any adjustments.
Here are the readings I got from this batch 2.5 hours after I mixed all ingredients except yeast:
Potential Alcohol: 12%
Balling:22
SG:1.092
temp:82F
---------------------------------------------
WELCH'S WHITE GRAPE AND RASPBERRY WINE

* 2 cans (11.5 oz) Welch's White Grape and Raspberry frozen concentrate
* 1-1/4 lbs granulated sugar
* 2 tsp acid blend
* 1 tsp pectic enzyme
* 1 tsp yeast nutrient
* water to make 1 gallon
* Sauterne wine yeast

Bring 1 quart water to boil and dissolve the sugar in the water. Remove from heat and add frozen concentrate. Add additional water to make one gallon and pour into secondary. Add remaining ingredients except yeast. Cover with napkin fastened with rubber band and set aside 12 hours. Add activated wine yeast and recover with napkin. When active fermentation slows down (about 5 days), fit airlock. When clear, rack, top up and refit airlock. Wait 30 days and rack, top up and refit airlock. After additional 30 days, stabilize, sweeten if desired and rack into bottles.

Readings for this batch 2.5 hours after mixing all but yeast:
Pot alc:13.25
Balling:25
SG:1.102
temp:82F

Hi Winefarm,

You really need 3 cans per gallon, if not the wine will have a weak flavor, and in the future when first starting starting your wine take a reading before adding sugar then add the amount of sugar to bring your reading to 1.080 or there abouts. Fruit wines are better when the abv is between 10-12%.

Latest posts

Back