New at it

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thunder2000

Reaction score
My question is about racking time. Everybody that comes over and looks at my carboyd is telling me they would rack it. The recipe says not to rack for three weeks. I want to wait three weeks so it turns out the way I hope. It is clearing and looking good ,smells good. What would be the best thing to do rack it or wait three weeks witch would be the 17th? Its a banana wine!

I am a firm believer to follow directions. If you are fermenting at the recommended temperatures I would just follow the directions. The only time I deviate is during primary fermentation and I go by the SG readings on 2-3 consecutive days. If I am at the target SG for racking to glass early I will go ahead and rack. Other than that, I just follow the directions.

Many feel that the gross lees will give an off taste but it really takes a bit of time to reach that stage. I have been 2-3 weeks behind racking numerous times and never had a problem but then again, maybe I have just been lucky.

Smurfe :)

My question is about racking time. Everybody that comes over and looks at my carboyd is telling me they would rack it. The recipe says not to rack for three weeks. I want to wait three weeks so it turns out the way I hope. It is clearing and looking good ,smells good. What would be the best thing to do rack it or wait three weeks witch would be the 17th? Its a banana wine!
What's the recipe? I assume it's a non kit 'country' wine?

Obviously i've no idea what recipe you have followed but most country wine recipes usually need racking off any fruit pulp etc after a week at latest. I assume you've racked it again and this is when you've asked the question.

If it's clearing well now and you're a couple of weeks out either side it's not a real issue. Rack it when you get the time!

Latest posts

Back