New 30# Wine Press

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TXWineDuo

Reaction score
We just picked up our new wine press last weekend and was wondering what are the first steps we need to do to get the press ready before pressing time?

There are some splinters on a few of the basket slats that looked like they didn't get proper sanding at factory, are these ok or should they be fixed?
Also when I operate the ratchet I can see some small paint flakes coming off the ratchet head is this normal?

I remember reading about food grade lube for the threads but can't remember if there was anything needed to put on the basket slats or not?

thanks

Here are the pics. I know threaded screw needs food grade lube but what about where this paint dust shows up from the ratcheting action of metal on metal?

Should I take some sand paper and knock down the splinters?

I would like to try a 2nd run on the CabSav and Syrah skins and don't think the paint flakes/dust would be good in the 2nd run. :rdo
Thanks

Paint_dust.jpg

splinters.jpg

splinters2.jpg

I have no idea, but I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night ...

Regarding the paint: Work the mechanism for a minute or two in order to work off the paint on paint, or metal on paint contact points. Then clean the paint from the area.

Regarding the wood: Seems like unfinished wood to me. Since it will be coming into contact with liquids, it should probably be sealed first. So, sand off the splinters, and seal the wood. This article suggests that most finishes are ok, but they need 30 days to fully cure.
http://www.woodcentral.com/articles/finishing/articles_497a.shtml

Given that you probably don't have 30 days before you need to press, maybe something like Paraffin or Bees Wax to give a temporary water-resistant coating, and then do something more permanent in a few months.

Last edited:
That is how mine looked when I got it 3 years ago (brand spanking new) I soaked the basket and blocks in Iodophor solution, greased the threads with food grade lubricant, sprayed the pan with Kmeta and wiped down then crushed almost 1000lbs of grapes every year since then. Basket is stained red, so what, blocks stained red, (ditto)…….

All wine made to date has turned out great, no bugs, no problems. I hose everything down good when finished and dry off before putting away for the year. Rinse, repeat.

Back