Neutral tasting wine for blending

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maddog

Reaction score
I need to a fairly bland or neutral flavored wine to blend with a few different apple and white grape wines i have made from concentrate. I have read a couple suggestions on here about trying banana wine for this. Would that work well for this?

What would a wine made with higher sugar content and lower fruit turn out like? I'm assuming it would be similar to a mead. Does the sugar produce some "off" flavors? Would it be allright as a blending wine?

I need to a fairly bland or neutral flavored wine to blend with a few different apple and white grape wines i have made from concentrate. I have read a couple suggestions on here about trying banana wine for this. Would that work well for this?

What would a wine made with higher sugar content and lower fruit turn out like? I'm assuming it would be similar to a mead. Does the sugar produce some "off" flavors? Would it be allright as a blending wine?

Why do you want to blend? A higher sugar and lower fruit would not be similar to a mead. A mead has it's own very distintive flavor, high ABV, low fruit would not have much flavor at all.

I think you need to give us more details on exactly what it is you want to do. You do not want high alcohol with most fruit wines. Many white wines will compliment each other when blended. Do your bench trials and see what you can come up with.

I have two problems

1.) When sweetening my last batch I measured incorrectly. I got the taste I want, but I had too much simple syrup and the alcohol content is down to 8%or so. I want something that will boost the alcohol and not change the taste much. I could just add some Rum (I am gluten intolerant so most vodkas dont work for me, they are made from grain), but I wanted to try and make something rather than buy it. What would a high sugar wine with just enough fruit and nutrient to keep the yeast happy be like?

2.) I also have a batch of blueberry that had some unripened berries in it. It has a strange aftertaste that I would like to soften by blending with a neutral wine to help soften the strange flavor. I dont want to just add water because I'd like to keep the alcohol content where it is (12%).

Any suggestions?

I have two problems

1.) When sweetening my last batch I measured incorrectly. I got the taste I want, but I had too much simple syrup and the alcohol content is down to 8%or so. I want something that will boost the alcohol and not change the taste much. I could just add some Rum (I am gluten intolerant so most vodkas dont work for me, they are made from grain), but I wanted to try and make something rather than buy it. What would a high sugar wine with just enough fruit and nutrient to keep the yeast happy be like?

2.) I also have a batch of blueberry that had some unripened berries in it. It has a strange aftertaste that I would like to soften by blending with a neutral wine to help soften the strange flavor. I dont want to just add water because I'd like to keep the alcohol content where it is (12%).

Any suggestions?

Personally, I would stay away from banana. I don't find anything neutral about it. It has it's own banana taste and it isn't one I can really enjoy. I find that rhubarb tends to blend well with many wines and doesn't have an overpowering flavor or color, I'd put in a vote for it.

As for blending, a wine that you want to ramp the alcohol on, you could have some success blending. For wines with flavor faults, be really careful; I find that it can be throwing good wine after bad and you end up unhappy with the result. You might want to go to the liquor store and buy a white wine and try some bench trials on your blueberry to see if blending with another wine solves your problem.

Latest posts

Back