Netting to keep birds away

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigred

Junior
Reaction score
Hi everyone! This is my first year letting my grapes grow (3rd) and they are growing nicely. My question is do you use netting to keep the birds out? I live in the Seattle area.

Curious about this one myself. Also wonder what other critters like to eat grapes and means of prevention.

Hi everyone! This is my first year letting my grapes grow (3rd) and they are growing nicely. My question is do you use netting to keep the birds out? I live in the Seattle area.

Some people can get by without nets for early harvest white grapes. Edelweiss and Brianna are two examples of white grapes that are harvested around 15-18 brix. Some of the vineyards near me don't bother netting them. Red wine grapes and later harvest white grapes need protection. You will probably lose half your crop or more if you don't net. A small vineyard can lose everything.

I net everything in my vineyard including the early whites. They go on shortly after veraison.

H

I bought netting at Lowes, but was not wide enough, so I ask my bride to sew them together. Worked very well. She used nylon thread and run it through her sewing machine. It took a bit of time, but was strong and had no issues.

The year before, the birds got a big share of the crop!

Latest posts

Back