neer ending sediment

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djzmade

Junior
Reaction score
Im sure yall get this question a lot, i read a few threads but didn't quite get the answer im looking for. I ferment my wine with 5 gal buckets with airlocks. i siphon it 3-4 times (once per month) and leave the bottom inch or 2 of wine there n throw it out (sediments all in it). the wine will be crystal clear when i go to bottle it, but after about a week, i start noticing a little cloudiness. how can i get rid of that permanently?

Im sure yall get this question a lot, i read a few threads but didn't quite get the answer im looking for. I ferment my wine with 5 gal buckets with airlocks. i siphon it 3-4 times (once per month) and leave the bottom inch or 2 of wine there n throw it out (sediments all in it). the wine will be crystal clear when i go to bottle it, but after about a week, i start noticing a little cloudiness. how can i get rid of that permanently?
It sounds like from start to finish would be 4-5 months. Rather than a month between racking, wait upwards of 3 months between rackings. Which means you are at about 9-12 months. It always works for me.

And I would add - Why throw out all that wine from the bottom? Sure at first it's 75%-90% sediment but... after the gross lees are gone, I save the bottom part of the bucket/carboy. I put it immediately into the fridge and normally within 4-5 days the real lees drop out and I have some wine to use for topping off. Even if you don't want to use it for topping off, it gives you a pretty good idea what you've made. I share some of it with the wife and we discuss it she thinks it will need sweetening up. Other than being a bit on the sharp side, it's decent wine. Of course I know I'm being overly frugal but when I first started making wine I got busy after racking and after about 30 minutes I looked over at what I had left in the carboy you could already see some clearing.
Today I filtered some Peach - Riesling and had about 6 ounces left that was just the cloudy bottom dregs. (This is the last rack before bottling) In any case that last bit is excellent and I'll let the wife decide if she wants it sweetened up at all.

We all work differently at this but for me, since I've only been doing this for 3 years, I'm still anxious to get that finished wine adjusted and bottled. So these rackings provide me a little chance to sample the goods. Some days when I'm racking 3-4 different batches, that sampling is a pretty doggone good reward for the effort involved.

Latest posts

Back