need some tips on cold stabilization please

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuck-crisler

Reaction score
I have 4 containers of wine aging now. 2 1 gal of white (mix of Cayuga and Seval), 1 gal of Marquette/Frontenac and 3 gals of Baco/Foch. Critters really hit my grapes hard just as harvest was getting under way. I have read elsewhere about trying different yeasts 'just to see what happens'. Well, I learned that there is really only 1 yeast for me. Lalvin 71B. I have acid problems that 71B destroys.

I tried an ML fermentation in my reds but screwed up and added too much kmeta. I did actually get some malic reduction, but it wasn't eliminated. I have kept them in a warm room for a few weeks but a second chromatography test didn't show any change. Since I really don't have much wine I thought I would move on to cold stabilization now. I have some potassium bitartrate to mix in. I have read that it should be added when at the minimum temp, not before. Why (just curious)? Also, would someone share advice on how to get the wine down to 26F without a special freezer? I have the 'great outdoors'. We have only seen 2-3 days reach (not exceed) freezing in the last 6 weeks with lows usually in the single digits above and below 0F, but the calendar says spring is close so I am hoping to use the back porch. I have read to use vodka in the air lock to prevent freezing. Can I just put the carboys outside and watch the temps, bringing them somewhere (the somewhat cold garage?) when it gets too cold at night? Should I add the potassium bitartrate after a couple of cold days? a week? Should I wrap the carboys in a blanket after they get cold to reduce temp fluctuations? I know to rack the very cold wine after the cold stabilization while the tartaric crystals are still present. Though my acid levels at the last titration were acceptable (except for the white), I am considering cold stabilization simply to prevent the tartaric crystals from forming in the finished wine. Also, my white needs the acid reduction (didn't use 71B on that - my mistake!).

Thank you,
Chuck Crisler
New Hampshire

This and fall is the best time to cold stablize by using mother nature. I bring all my carboys out in the shed and put vodka in all the air locks to prevent the water from freezing. The wine will not start to get slushy till around 18 degrees fahrenheit. Keep them out of the sunlight and if you do not have a shed the coldest part of the garage will work also, just remember to put something on the concrete surface to insulate and protect the carboys.

I will try and leave them out there for 4-6 weeks - personal preference.

After 3 weeks in garage(outside temps -15 to 30) I racked and it seemed to be mostly sediment. Could the diamonds be very small and mixed in the sediment or are the generally large? I rinsed everything out so didn't get to closely inspect

Yes sometimes they can be in the sediment - I usually will see them along the side of the carboy or covering the entire bottom. When I rinse out the carboy it will sometimes come out in little thin sheets per say.

I hope that helps ?

Back