need some help..

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wine4Me

Reaction score
I picked up some Pomegranate/Cranberry juice.. 6 = 64 oz bottles. NOT concentrated.. I want to add concentrated grape juice to it... My Question?? how much do I need to add to make this a 5 gallon batch?? I really SUCK at figuring this kind of thing out!!!
Also can I use the normal Welch's recipe I have [got from this site] for this??

I think we all mostly agree to use 3 cans of concentrate to make 1 gallon. So in your case add 6 cans and enough water to bring it up to 5 gallons. And of course when using any "commercial" juice, concentrated or not, you want to use 100% juice and read the lables, if it contains and sulphite or sorbate in it or any other type orpreservatives I would't use it, it may not ferment. Ascopic acid or citric acid is okay. I don't know what recipe you are refering to but, yes, same procedure. What other ingredients/amounts are in the recipe you are refering to?
Troy
Sounds like a good combination of flavors, I am sure you will enjoy some success with those.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help........... :cool:
The recipe I am talking about is

Welch's Frozen Grape Juice Wine

2 cans (11.5 oz) Welch's 100% frozen grape concentrate
1-1/4 lbs granulated sugar
Potassium metabisulfite
2 tsp acid blend
1 tsp pectic enzyme
1 tsp yeast nutrient
water to make 1 gallon
wine yeast

but I turned it into a 5 gallon recipe!!
I checked for sorbate - none and it is 100% juice!!

Wine, this is what "I" would do, based om my own experiece. All I have made is from frozen concentrate so far. Started my eight batch tonight.

Take your 6 pom/cran
6 cans of your grape concentrate
Enough water to make 5 gals.

Sugar I'm quessing around 8 cups, only your hydrometer can tell you when you have enough. I wouldn't go over a starting SG of 1.090, some of the others may recommend something different.

K-Meta for 5 gallons, a little less than 1/2 teaspooon, powdered.
Pectine enzyme, 4 1/2 teaspoon ( based on 3/4 tsp per gallon
Yeast nutrient, 2 tsp

Stir it shake it, etc well, make sure your sugar is dissolved well. Allow the whole batch to st 16 hours or so, than pitch your yeast.

I have bnever used the Acid Blend so I have nothing to say about that.

Yeast, no clue. I personally like this Premier Cuvee. Tommorrow when I pitch the new batch I'll be using Lalvin K1-V1116 because I couldn't find the other. I wish I could reccomend a yeast but I really don't have a clue on the different yeast strains. I do know however Montrachet makes a nice buttermilk bread.

Other than the yeast and the acid blend what I mentioned above is what I have been doing the last several batches I have made and it has worked well all those times.
Troy

Back