Need Some Advice - Frozen Petite Syrah

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Been reading for awhile but this is my first time posting. I've been doing kits for a few months now but nothing too complicated.

Anyway, I was given a 5 gal bucket of frozen petite syrah from M&M by somebody who obviously has a lot more faith in me than I do!! The must has a pH of 3.68, a TA of 5.1, brix of 25.8, and free SO2 of 30ppm.

Since I've never done this before, I wanted to get some input on what you guys think. I know the brix is a tad high but I was going to try not to add any water. I am thinking of using pasteur red for the yeast. Any advice on yeast choice? Will pasteur red be able to churn 25.8 through to driness?

For acid, I'm definitely on the low side. I wanted to target around 7 for my TA and 3.4 for the pH. I calculated that I should add 40g of tartaric acid to get in this area. Does this sound right?

For the SO2 adjustment, 30 seems to be the lower end of what's recommended. Should I boost it at all? If I want to do MLF, what level of SO2 would be too high?

Lastly, what would you all recommend for MLF and oak? I've got some med+ french oak and some malo bacteria on hand ready to go. What I'm not sure about is what is preferred for a petite syrah. In other words, what is acceptable for this type?

Whoo. Sorry to be so long winded! I appreciate ANY help you can offer!!

-Matt

I am not 100% sure on some of this - but here is a stab at it. Some other folks will chime in as well.

SO2 levels i believe should be around 50ppm.

TA levels:
1 oz will raise the % of 1 gallon of juice by 0.75%.
2 oz will raise the % of 1 gallon of juice by 1.5%.
4 oz will raise the % of 1 gallon of juice by 3.0%.

1 oz will raise the % of 5 gallon of juice by 0.15%.
2 oz will raise the % of 5 gallon of juice by 0.30%.
4 oz will raise the % of 5 gallon of juice by 0.60%.

Yeast strain you could use Lavlin ICV D47 or 71B-1122 or Red star Montrachet.

As far as the MLF - i am not sure if that will benefit this wine or not.

Latest posts

Back