Need help

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishHarder

Junior
Reaction score
New to wine. Have 2 buckets of grape juice with yeast Ec-1118 8 days in. Below 1.000 ready to transfer to Demijohns. Is this bacteria. Both have it across top.

Attachments

• C02BBD09-386F-4760-8BC2-2936882B77ED.jpeg
    C02BBD09-386F-4760-8BC2-2936882B77ED.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 2
Did you add SO2 prior to the fermentation? It could be mycoderma, but is difficult to tell from the image, and my understanding is that mycoderma takes more time to develop.

If you are ready to transfer, continue to do so and make sure you have your SO2 at 50ppm or higher. Wait a couple days and see if it redevelops. At only 8 days, it should not be an issue.

Welcome to WMT!
How does it smell and taste? I think a bacterial issue would smell "bad" - then I probably wouldn't taste it or at least a very tiny bit. Also, I believe most bacteria have a difficult time with ABV above 6% or so.

It resembles the kahm yeast I sometimes get on my vegetable ferments.

Also, what kind of "grape juice"? Details help.

It is a Meritage. My one neighbor thinks it is micro bubbles. He is an heavy into wine. right now i am suffering from an issue where my merlot is not fermenting i had EC-1118 in it for 8 days and the winery told me to add another pack. It only shimmers. no bubbles. i wonder if its worth puting yeast food in it.

It is a Meritage. My one neighbor thinks it is micro bubbles. He is an heavy into wine. right now i am suffering from an issue where my merlot is not fermenting i had EC-1118 in it for 8 days and the winery told me to add another pack. It only shimmers. no bubbles. i wonder if its worth puting yeast food in it.
Welcome to WMT! For your Merlot, what was the initial Brix? What is the current Brix?

An SG of 1.000 means it’s nearly completely fermented and yet you say it’s not fermenting. What makes you think that? The picture suggests it was recently stirred, looks ok, needs to be racked to a carboy with some Kmeta.

I'm sorry I'm speaking in tongue. the merlot is not. it is at 2.5. the meritage is below .995

At 8 days, 2.5 Brix is not bad. Have you been monitoring daily? Is it continuing to drop, even if just slowly? If so, it should be fine to just let it finish. I have had primary fermentations last 2 weeks both at home and at the winery. If the number stops at 2.5 for several days it could be an issue.
How does it smell? No off odors?

Risk:
* once you are above 5% you don’t have a risk of food poisoning, you can still get bacterial infections as Acetobacter (vinegar)
* normal populations grow in waves as one carbon source is used up another organism comes in to eat what is left, normal room temperature fermentation is about a week. During this time there is active outgassing of CO2. Having CO2 (anaerobic) is another barrier to infection with organisms as Acetobacter requiring oxygen to grow. Anyway on day eight the risk of another organism finding and building populations is low.
* does the white stuff feel soft? greasy? hard? granular like salt crystals? I also taste to determine this. Again the risk of something bad is extremely low.
* can you get a close up photo? Can you describe it if you are close like trying to thread a needle?
* shimmer on the surface makes me wonder about oils or residual cleaners in the carboy
* many bacterial and mold infections create gums which make long stringy “snot like” cell colonies, can you mix it out, especially if you scoop the surface off, ,,, aerobic organisms tend to float like a mat
* treating with K metabisulphite prevents most issues

welcome to wine making talk
wine is a low risk food, with several barriers to infection as pH/ SO2/ alcohol flavor issues are the normal risk

Latest posts

Back