Need Help With Sparkling Wine Dosage Calculations

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So the story goes, my dad died and left me his winery. I've worked for him for most of my life and he passed on a lot of knowledge to me, but kept certain things to himself, including the technical details of making sparkling wine. I have a few hundred cases of bottled sparkling that needs to be discorged and given a dosage. I need help figuring out the math to do that. How much sugar to add to how much wine solution and how much to add to each bottle for a traditional, dry Brut-style sparkling. Any advice is appreciated.

If you’re disgorging the wine, that means it’s already been dosed with the appropriate sugar / yeast solution to carbonate it, it has been stored inverted and turned (riddled), the sediment has compacted in the neck, and is ready to be removed (disgorged).

If you’re making a dry champagne and not sweetening it, each bottle needs to be topped up to the appropriate level before corking, preferably with the same base wine you started with.

If you wish to sweeten it, you’ll need to experiment and taste test to determine the amount of sugar you wish to add, and then add it to each bottle when topping up.

Here’s an article that may help you with the process:

https://winemakermag.com/480-making-sparkling-wine-from-kits-wine-kits

Back