Need help with my first batch of wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baron164

Junior
Reaction score
I harvested about 5 gallons of Muscat grapes a few weeks ago and pressed the grapes into a little over a gallon of juice. Using a Vintner's Best wine making kit I put the juice into the 2 gallon fermentor bucket, followed a recipe and started fermenting the juice. I took a hydrometer reading over the weekend and it's sitting at 1.050. I think the fermentation process is finished but the instructions said to wait until the "gravity falls below 1.000". Not sure if I messed something up or if I should just move forward and siphon the juice into the glass gallon jug.

hydro-reading.jpg

What was your starting SG? You may have a stuck fermentation but it is hard to know if you have only taken one reading. What yeast did you use?

What was your starting SG? You may have a stuck fermentation but it is hard to know if you have only taken one reading. What yeast did you use?
I used Red Star Premier Cuvee, I didn't take a reading until a week in, which was 1.070.

Did you add sugar to the grapes? You probably need to make a yeast starter and use EC 1118 to kick start your fermentation. You may have started at a high SG and the yeast has died out.

Latest posts

Back