Need help with mold in my wine fridge!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

Nebbiolo020

Reaction score
I noticed some mold on bottles in one of my wine fridges last week and I’m not sure what kind of mold it is but I cleaned out the fridge and cleaned and sanitized the bottles and the mold has come back again and I don’t know what to do about it I am seeking advice for how to hopefully eradicate it before it causes damage to the wine. Mold is greyish white and circular with spider web like lines between little circular mold patches if that tells anyone anything useful.

Reaction score
I had a problem with mold growing on the outside of the corks, apparently due to humidity in my cellar. Switching to Nomacorcs solved the problem.

It's possible the humidity in your wine fridge is related to the problem. However, I'd wipe everything in the fridge with a anti-fungal cleaning. My first choice would be a bleach solution, but that is contraindicated in a winery. Oxyclean may do it. Then wipe dry, and I'd spritz with K-meta solution.

Nebbiolo020

Reaction score
I had a problem with mold growing on the outside of the corks, apparently due to humidity in my cellar. Switching to Nomacorcs solved the problem.

It's possible the humidity in your wine fridge is related to the problem. However, I'd wipe everything in the fridge with a anti-fungal cleaning. My first choice would be a bleach solution, but that is contraindicated in a winery. Oxyclean may do it. Then wipe dry, and I'd spritz with K-meta solution.
I’ll try that, I only saw some mold on 2-3 corks and isolated those bottles and sprayed the corks with Star San I’m waiting to see if the mold grows back before I risk adding them back after I clean the fridge again.

I use Diam Corks.

I did check the humidity in my fridge and it is in the range it’s supposed to be I added a couple bottles from a winery to the fridge a couple weeks ago and I’m wondering if the spores/mold was on those bottles and that’s how it got into the fridge as I had no issues untill then.