Need Help With Jelly Wine...Fizzing but not Foaming

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sue

Reaction score
Followed the recipe for a jelly wine five gallon batch. Took the first reading and it was way high....1.2...followed the advice online and diluted it to a 1.1. Today is day 5....yesterday and today hydrometer reading was 1.085. The solids of the jam float to the top and I stir them back in each day. There is a lot of fizzing sound just not much foaming. Any suggestions?

Did a blackberry jam a couple years ago. Used a starter with a s.g. of 1.110 ,five days down to 1.020. Never got below 1.014. I believe
it was because a lot of solids

Used a lot pectic enzyme

Bill

Sounds like it is fermenting along. Keep it warm, in the 70's or so, maybe a little nutrient and stir daily. Good luck with it, Arne.

Did a blackberry jam a couple years ago. Used a starter with a s.g. of 1.110 ,five days down to 1.020. Never got below 1.014. I believe
it was because a lot of solids

Used a lot pectic enzyme

Bill
Thanks. I would be happy with a 1.014. I can hear it still fizzing pretty good so hoping it takes off and isn't all bad. Says to move to carboy after five days....but with reading that high I am leary to. Recipe called for 5 teaspoons of pectic enzyme.

Sounds like it is fermenting along. Keep it warm, in the 70's or so, maybe a little nutrient and stir daily. Good luck with it, Arne.
I figured the fizzing sound was a good sign. Staying hopeful. I did add a little yeast nutrient to it.

fizzing is fine. some yeast are low foaming to begin with hydrometer best indication of activity.
I was thinking the fizzing was good. Was just worried when the reading was the same yesterday to today.

It will be fine. I predict that the SG will start dropping quickly over the next day or so.
Thanks:) I had it in open fermentation per recipe....it has been five days so I covered and airlocked....airlock is showing very good activity so I am hopeful.

UPDATE...airlock is still bubbling some but the sg reading isn't moving. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

It will be fine. I predict that the SG will start dropping quickly over the next day or so.
Two days later...still at 1.080:( Airlock still shows signs of bubbling but reading hasn't moved in four days.

Back