Need Help With Cuttings

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VinesnBines

Reaction score
I received some cuttings from a vineyard and need advice on several issues. I've reached out to the vineyard operators but my emails are not being answered so I'm hoping for help.

First, the cuttings were in the mail for 15 days. The wrappings were still damp so I had some hope. I snipped the ends and all are still viable. Will this delay be an issue?

Second, some of the cuttings are breaking bud. Will these fail? Should I break off the buds?

Third and most problematic, the vineyard cut one end on the slant and I assumed that was the top (no instructions included) and put the flat ends in water last night. Today I discovered that the buds on many indicated the flat ends were the top so as I looked even closer, some bundles had the slant at the top and others at the bottom. If I get the cutting upside down are they doomed?

Have I wasted my money? Needless to say, I won't be making this mistake again.

You should have no problem dip the fresh cut ends in rooting harmone plant is good potting soil place on a heating pad and keep watered and watch them grow. I replenish my vineyard every year or so with cuttings you may want to graft that is for another day

Thanks! I rooted some of my own cuttings last year with marginal success. My most successful rooting came from pruning new vines and sticking the cutting in the ground (early May) next to the mother vine. I'll be trying again with my own vies but these cuttings are different varieties.
Grafting is next on my list.

I want to try grafting high grafts (12 inches above the ground). I understand the high graft has better success in cold climates and less prone to crown gall at the graft. No hilling required for winter. I'm still debating trying to graft; in Virginia we can (sometimes) wait until April to take cuttings and prune.

Hi v&b in preparation to do many cuttings one things was made clear, they have to be rooted the right direction up. Can you determine from the buds which end is down, and then stimroot it and plant.

Hi v&b in preparation to do many cuttings one things was made clear, they have to be rooted the right direction up. Can you determine from the buds which end is down, and then stimroot it and plant.
I think I was able to determine top and bottom from the buds. Apparently the vineyard owner had a helper who couldn’t remember which end was to be cut on the slant.

I was taught to angle cut the bottom end of the cutting, and flat cut the top. The buds should tend to point upwards, and the top should tend to be more slender

I was taught like Malach58. also the bottom cut just below bud, top cut 1/2 in. or more above bud.
I you are not sure, I have just laid the cuttings on their side about 1 inch deep and had good success.
Also dormant cuttings will last for months and months dry. 15 days is absolutely no problem. I would not break off the buds either. just get the lower 2 buds under the sand / coir as soon as possible. Good luck.

Thanks all. I think I have them oriented correctly. Hope so!
I'm used to rooting geraniums and impatiens; they root at the drop of a hat.

They should be cut properly but if they were not, you can still tell top from bottom if you examine them closely. Look at the buds - there will be a leaf scar on the stem just below the bud. It is easy to see since the stem above the bud will be smooth and below the bud there will be an oval shaped scar clearly visible.

Latest posts

Back