Need help picking out a kit to make a port

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry0220

Reaction score
Need help picking out a kit to make a port. Sitting having Christmas dinner with my parents and enjoying some of the wine we made, I asked my dad (who will be turning 85 in Feb) since he likes to have a glass or two of port each evening, if he would like me to get a port kit and we could make it together. He said that he would enjoy doing that with me. But here is the problem (now don't get riled up on this,,) he normally gets Taylors Port,,(I know GASP!) but it is what he is used too. So my question,,what kit would be compatable with it??? I figured, if we can make something close to what he is used too,,then (most likely) when the next is to be made I can help him in making some awsome port. I don't drink port (probably because is was always Taylor,,lol) so I have no idea what to get. Any suggestions on which kit would be sooo welcomed! Thanks!!

The Taylor's port website seems to show 16 different ports. So it might help if you could find out which one.

I'm not a port person myself, but the LaBodega kit seems to be considered as the best kit.

Steve

Terry0220 said:
...he normally gets Taylors Port...

Buy him a bottle of Graham's "Six Grapes", a moderately priced bottle of port, which is very good. That will start him down the road to a little better ports. As far as Port kits go, I made the WE Chocolate Raspberry Port and MM La Bodega, they are both excellent, we drank a bit of the CRP over Christmas, which was enjoyed. However, tasting the LB from the carboy, we are very excited about it. Actually, I prefer the LB, it's not as sweet as the CRP, and is more typical of ports. The only problem is that these kits are recommended to age for quite a while. I bottled the CRP and plan to drink it only at holidays, so, it will bottle age from this time to probably next Fall. The LB will get bottled in about 5 more months and then bottle age and drink it, when I feel like I want to check its progress ;), letting it age further in the bottle.

The instructions that I got from MM for the LB are poor, if you choose this kit, do some research on the various processes that makers have employed, as well possible contacting MM if you have any concerns about the instructions. All in all the LB is excellent, I will be getting another kit into the loop once Spring comes.

Good luck, enjoy...

Tony

Last edited:
I concur with Tony. I know that is not what you asked but Graham's Six Grape Reserve Port at about $23 a bottle is probably the best Reserve port in my opinion. As Steve said the Taylor ports go all the way from Rose' to the Vintage and there is a big difference in them.

Back