Need help making rose

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it was me, I would use Lalvin Sensy or ICV GRE yeast along with Scott Labs Stimula Syrah or Pinot Noir to help enhance the flavor and aromatics of the wine. I would also ferment cold, at 60-65F.

Any thoughts of blending with another variety? You could use a fragrant white in small quantities to boost the aromas. Try to get something that has been hanging on the vine and is very "floral" if you can. Even 10% can make a difference. Ferment separately then mix to desired quantity. You can drop in a touch of red to get to the right color if needed.

I'm thinking to do the same, since I've planted way too much Marquette. This is my first year ever trying this, but I'm thinking to co-ferment one of the following with a Marquette rose, at 10%:
  • Vignoles, very little of this
  • Traminette (have a lot of this)
  • Kerner (also have a lot of this)
  • Blend of German/Austrian/Italian hybrids that may or may not produce much for harvest on their own: Johanniter, Muscaris, Trentina, Soreli, Fleurtai
Yeast-wise, I was thinking Cote des Blancs to keep some residual sugar, assuming the must isn't too acidic. Or RC 212 Bourgovin, if I'm thinking to ultimately have it undergo MLF.

Hmm...interesting. So after pressing the white grapes and getting juice that I'll ferment on its own (e.g. Traminette or Kerner), I add the skins to the Marquette must and ferment with them?

I like this idea a lot. It may help make up for lack of tannin / body in the Marquette, or even moderate the acidity somewhat.

Hmm...interesting. So after pressing the white grapes and getting juice that I'll ferment on its own (e.g. Traminette or Kerner), I add the skins to the Marquette must and ferment with them?

I like this idea a lot. It may help make up for lack of tannin / body in the Marquette, or even moderate the acidity somewhat.
It’s not my idea but it’s certainly something I would try. @Jbu50 posted about it a few days ago. I don’t know how to link but the title was “reuse white skins?”

Thanks Chuck, taking a look at that thread. Just the inspiration I needed!

Back