need different Avery labels

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winemaker81

wine dabbler
Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In October 2020 I ordered 100 sheets of Avery Surface Safe White Film for Signs, each sheet has six 3-1/3" x 4" labels. I love this media as when printed with a laser printer, the labels do not smudge or run, and peel off the bottle very easily. It was a bit pricy compared to other media, but the benefits made it worth it.

I went to order another box, and the price literally doubled! Wow!

Now I'm on the hunt for an alternative ...

I ordered 100 sheets of 0L150WS labels from onlinelabels.com, which is six 4x3.33" labels per sheet. This was about 30% of the price for similar Avery labels. I printed labels today and am VERY pleased.

Note that these are laser printer labels -- they are glossy and will not print well in an inkjet.

I ordered 100 sheets of 0L150WS labels from onlinelabels.com, which is six 4x3.33" labels per sheet. This was about 30% of the price for similar Avery labels. I printed labels today and am VERY pleased.

Note that these are laser printer labels -- they are glossy and will not print well in an inkjet.
I'm curious about these. Do the Avery labels you were using come off easily with little or no residue? How do these compare in that respect with the Avery labels you were using?

Removal has been great come re-use time!
ABSOLUTELY!!! I love being able to simply peel the label and rinse in hot water. Later I run bottles through an Oxyclean bath, rinse twice, and dry before storage.

I just saw that uline has labels at a low cost.
Good. The more resources, the better!

I was printing labels at work, but have been WFH for 2+ years, so I'm printing at Staples. I'm looking into a personal color laser printer, and need to compare the printing cost to Staples, although the convenience of having a printer is huge. I have an 8 yo inkjet that is showing its age, and never produced the quality. Its replacement will be a laser printer, although I may go B&W if the color is not cost effective (thinking usage costs, not just printer cost).

I’ve been using Online Labels, matte finish- cheapest. They wash off easily with no residue. They stick well too. I may spring for better quality when I’m ready for more.

I discovered these labels don't peel off like the Avery labels I was using. I peeled the coated layer off, soaked the remainder in hot water for about 10 minutes, and the remainder came off fairly easily. As much as I like the Avery, these are 1/3 the price, so I'll keep using them.

No they are not Bryan. The matte is okay, but I may look for a glossy label next time, just to see the difference. I like the larger label as my labels tend to be 'busy'. I have noticed that with much handling the toner will start to come off the label. Fine for what I do, but not in a commercial setting. I'm using a Brother color laser but ink jet might perform better.

After a quick search it looks like the the matte finish is the only one available as a removable - disappointing.

Last edited:
No they are not Bryan
Thanks for the info!

I really like the Avery, but the price has gone up too much. I can live with the ones in using now.

Glossy labels and a laser printer make a huge difference. My 8 yo inkjet is acting up. I'm thinking a personal color laser will replace it.

No they are not Bryan. The matte is okay, but I may look for a glossy label next time, just to see the difference. I like the larger label as my labels tend to be 'busy'. I have noticed that with much handling the toner will start to come off the label. Fine for what I do, but not in a commercial setting. I'm using a Brother color laser but ink jet might perform better.

After a quick search it looks like the the matte finish is the only one available as a removable - disappointing.
I’m personally not a fan of the glossy labels anyway. I think the matte ones look better.

I’m personally not a fan of the glossy labels anyway. I think the matte ones look better.
In my cellar, the matte labels don't hold up as well, nor does anything printed on an ink jet. The humidity varies from season to season, and after a year or 3 the labels don't look as good.

I print my labels with an ink jet printer then I coat them with an acrylic sealer called Mod Podge, gloss or matt finish. However, the largest carboy I bottled once was 5 gallons, all the rest have been 3 or 1 gallon runs.

I print my labels with an ink jet printer then I coat them with an acrylic sealer called Mod Podge, gloss or matt finish. However, the largest carboy I bottled once was 5 gallons, all the rest have been 3 or 1 gallon runs.
I typically make 5 to 15 gallon batches, plus I'm quite sure that I'm lazier than you. ;)

What is your finding with the residue from the onlinelabels.com labels?

Latest posts

Back