Need Assistance

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brock

Winemaker Apprentice
Reaction score
I have a feeling something has gone wrong with my wine fermentation process.
I began a Rielsing Kit on 10/18 with a S.G. of 1.082 then racked it on 10/28 with a S.G. of .998. Since racking it to the carboy there has been no activity from the wine. From what I have read from others it should be like bubbling from the CO2 being released but there is nothing. Has my First wine gone non active and lost? what should I do? Please help.

First don't think the kit is a lost cause. What kit are you making? What does the instruction sheet say for the step your currently in? Your wine is just about done but don't worry just because you don't see any more airlock activity.

My kit is a Connoisseur KenRidge classic Riesling. Also the temperature is maintained at 70 degrees.
Current instructions is at secondary fermentation and just says to have made sure wine was less than 1.010 sg before racking which it was. Says to leave for 12 days to complete fermentation.

My concern is that the wine is not doing anything, no bubbling no nothing, It seems from a lot that there should be some activity from the wine. Also, the instructions say at stage 3 ... sg should be less than .995 and no bubbling seen before degassing. I have had no bubbling at all.

Youre wine is fine and may have not had as much C02 in it as other kits. each fermentation is different and some will just be loaded with C02 while others almost degas themselves. All is fine and keep following the instructions by # of days cause rushing a wine is not recommended and the only thing that should be done according to schedule is protect your wine with the sulfite.

Well when you racked your wine at the lower sg. reading it is done or nearly done fermenting. During the racking process you do get rid of alot of CO2 out of the wine. Just follow the directions and at the 12th day check your sg. again and see if it matches what they say it should. One more thing though. Have you checked the accuracy of your hydrometer? If not get the sheet out that came with it and test it in the temp. water they call out for and see if there is a difference. You might just find out that your wine completed fermentation before you racked out of primary.

Not sure what kit you are actually making. White box California Connoisseur. Blue box KenRidge Classic. Both kits use the same instruction sheet. Regardless, kits from both brands (including both rieslings) have nearly always finished about .992 for me when fermented about 74F. Often in 7-8 days. I made a LOT of them when I ran an FoP.

Before you panic, visual signs of fermentation are USELESS in my opinion. What does your hydrometer say? Odds are that the sg has dropped down further than the .998 from 4 days ago.

Steve

Good Tasting Riesling

The wine turned out fabulous for my 1st wine. My wife actualy normally prefers a sweeter wine, and she decided she liked it dry, I was shocked. Have already knocked down 4 bottles and they are oh so clear.

Just did my 2nd racking on a Shiraz last night and it smells oh so good, and wife said smelled so good she took a small glass taste test from it.

Latest posts

Back