Need advise !!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nikki500

Junior
Reaction score
Ok so I've been making wine for awhile ( island mist kits ) and I forgot to use my hydrometer until after I filter it . Can I take a reading and make sure that the FG is were it's suppose to be ? Will it be ok ?

Seriously! Thanks you !

I was worrying I was going to have bottle bombs or something . The gavity is 1.018 , the instructions say to be between 1.010-1.018 depending on the kit. Does it make a difference that I filtered it and then took gavity ? Since I'm worry about it could I check the gavity in a day to see if it changed ? Sorry for all the questions .

Last edited:
I was worrying I was going to have bottle bombs or something . The gavity is 1.018 , the instructions say to be between 1.010-1.018 depending on the kit. Does it make a difference that I filtered it and then took gavity ? Since I'm worry about it could I check the gavity in a day to see if it changed ? Sorry for all the questions .

No, you can take specific gravity reading before or after filtering. Since filtering doesn't remove any of the sugar, it will be the same.

So I'm good to bottle , right ? Sorry I have anxiety and lot sleep about in for two days . I don't need wait a day or so and take another reading to make sure it's the same ? Is the a possibility of refementing in the bottles ? I used sorbate and metiphisuite before the F-pack ,just worry that I didn't check to see if fermintaion was done if I'm going to have fermintaion in the bottles .

So I'm good to bottle , right ? Sorry I have anxiety and lot sleep about in for two days . I don't need wait a day or so and take another reading to make sure it's the same ? Is the a possibility of refementing in the bottles ? I used sorbate and metiphisuite before the F-pack ,just worry that I didn't check to see if fermintaion was done if I'm going to have fermintaion in the bottles .

If you've used your chems properly, and since you have filtered, you should have very clear wine. The only question is whether or not you still have CO2 in the wine. If you don't, and it's been a few days since you added your fpack, bottling should be safe.

If you've used your chems properly, and since you have filtered, you should have very clear wine. The only question is whether or not you still have CO2 in the wine. If you don't, and it's been a few days since you added your fpack, bottling should be safe.

Yes I added the F pack and it said to wait 2 weeks but it's over 3 weeks because I was trying to figure out if it was ok to bottle . What do you mean by about C02 being gone ? I did degas it .

Last edited:
Yes I added the F pack and it said to wait 2 weeks but it's over 3 weeks because I was trying to figure out if it was ok to bottle . What do you mean by about C02 being gone ? I did degas it .

Since it's been a few weeks, you're fine on the refermentation issue. If you degassed using an electric vacuum pump, or multiple vacuum rackings, your wine is probably adequately degassed. If you stirred with a spoon or used a drill mounted stirrer, you should check your wine for gas before bottling, as the carbonation will not dissipate in the bottle. Residual CO2 will leave your wine fizzy and may also affect the taste.

How do you check it other than just tasting it? Some here call this the "poof test". Simply get a small vial, test tube, or other little vessel that you can seal by putting your thumb over the opening, fill it about halfway with your wine, and seal it tightly with your thumb. Hold it sealed in your hand, allowing it to warm, and shake it vigorously. After shaking, release your thumb, paying attention to pressure being released as you do so. If you get a "poof" of CO2, or hear any pressure release, you have residual gas.

Many of us bulk age our wine for many months and the CO2 dissipates on its own, just like a soda goes flat once opened. It's a natural process that takes time, CO2 release is quickest, regardless of the method, with temps in the mid to upper 70's. Hope this helps you decide how to proceed!!

So now what ? I opened a bottle of liquor store wine and it Puffed too. I thought my you want minor amount of co2

Latest posts

Back