Need advice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vella

Junior
Reaction score
Hello,
I began my grape growing this year. I planted my blue coronation vines this spring from last year cuttings that I got from a vineyard In Niagara Falls. They are starting to bud, however one has budded from the split of 2 canes. Is this what is considered a basal bud? Should I be cutting this off and hoping for another bud to break? Any advice is appreciated.70478DA0-2CD3-48E4-A7D4-69DE52DBD4E2.jpeg

Nothing wrong with letting it grow, especially from cuttings. If later you have other buds opening you can decide which shoots to retain.

That’s true. The only thing I’m concerned with is that it won’t be a fruitful shoot and that it is taking energy away from the other buds breaking. I may just leave it. Thanks for your reply.

I would not worry abut retaining fruit for another two year or so. the first few years root growth is the priority not fruit. continue to allow vine to grow.

I will. Thanks for your reply. I was just worried because I read that basal buds may not be fruitful. I will be growing this as the trunk. I was just concerned that the shoots to come off of that later would not be fruitful as well if they come off it later.

They will be fine. That is a good shoot position if this is a cutting, stake it and keep it tied to the stake with soft ties that won't girdle it. You want it to grow straight up to the wire.

No worries at all. You don't want any fruit on it, so all buds are good. There will be no fruit for this year (*and next) that you have to worry about buds not fruiting or taking energy away.

Latest posts

Back