Need advice on next step

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Odiy33

Brewing rookie
Reaction score
I'm trying to make a dry apple wine. So far so good I believe. I'm loosley following a recipe. The recipe wanted me to let the must ferment for 48 hours in my 6 g plastic bucket, then move over into the Carboy. My first batch, i didn't move the must over to the carboy for awhile. The must has been in the bucket since 01/16, I stirred it about twice a day for the first couple days, and now i stir it about twice a week for the last 2 weeks. must Temp is between 70-80 and when i open it, i can hear and see little bubbles floating up through the must. My real question is "what would you suggest as my next step, when should i move it over to carboy? like i said it's been fermenting in bucket since 01/16.

Do you have a hydrometer, if not I dont think you should make any more wine till you get 1. They are only a few dollars and are the winemakers tool and guide. You should transfer to carboy at a sg specific gravity(SG) of around 1.015.

transfer to secondary

I am not clear why fermenting wine should be racked from the primary when every thing is going well.Why not let it ferment fully in the primary? What is gained?

Some like the fact that you get it into a container with much less head room and since it is still fermenting your wine is protected by a ayer of co2 blanketing your wine. I like to ferment dry in the bucket myself as it helps get rid of the gas easier and is more true to wine making IMO.

I can not see if the must was made from juice or fresh mashed apples.

If the must was made of fresh apples you should not let it pulp-ferment.
I would press it immediately and transfer to a secondary.

If the must was made from juice I would let it go like Wade said.

Luc

primary fermentation

Would an air-lock placed on the primary give the same co2 protection that a smaller head-space carboy gives? I am not so lazy that racking to a secondary is a big deal,but I just think there should be a good reason to do it.

If it has stopped fermenting and there is still a layer of co2 over your wine then yes it is fine but once it stops and you open it up you lose that layer of protection and should rack to vessel with much less air exposure.

primary fermentation

So, I dont get to skip a step after all.At my stage in wine making I should just follow the directions(and I do)but was just curious about the whys of it. thanks Wade.Oh..hows the back?

Latest posts

Back