Need advice on Apple Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drainsurgeon

Reaction score
Just finished pressing 100# of apples and adding my nutrient, kmeta, tannin and the recipe is calling for 6-9 tsp of acid blend. It's a 7 gallon batch, SG to 1.086, and the pH is at 3.0. Not sure if I want to drive the pH much lower preferment. Should I add the acid blend or not?

DS, if your ph is truly 3.0 I certainly would not add any acid blend. Must have been some tart apples. Roy

Thanks Roy. That's kind of what I was thinking too. The apples were very tart, but I should probably re calibrate my pH meter again. I haven't done that in about 4-5 months.

OK, re calibrated and it is at 3.3 now. I think I'm still going to leave it alone. Isn't 3.2 - 3.6 a good target pH?

if acid is really required I would only add malic acid. this is the predominate in apple and will enhance its flavor. with a 3.2 ph acid is not required. I would balance after fermenting clearing etc by sweetening using bench trials.

You are in the range, how does it taste?

The apples were very tart and the juice is the same.

After adding 8# of sugar to bring the SG to 1.088, it is a very sweet apple now.
I also added tannin, yeast nutrient, yeast energizer, pectic enzyme and now have the Cote des Blancs yeast hydrating in some warm water.

And away we go! Should I add the cinnamon sticks into the primary or add while bulk aging?

if acid is really required I would only add malic acid. this is the predominate in apple and will enhance its flavor. with a 3.2 ph acid is not required. I would balance after fermenting clearing etc by sweetening using bench trials.

Will do. I hope it ferments out. It could potentially reach 12 1/2% if it drops to .992. Cote des Blancs is supposed to be good for 12% - 14% so I hope it gets there. If not, I won't have as much back sweetening to do.

I always add the spices to the secondary. I use cimimion sticks, a little ginger & a clove or 2. We like to do say 3 gals of straight Apple, then 2 of spiced. You may also want to oak some of your Apple Wine, we love it. Roy

I always add the spices to the secondary. I use cimimion sticks, a little ginger & a clove or 2. We like to do say 3 gals of straight Apple, then 2 of spiced. You may also want to oak some of your Apple Wine, we love it. Roy

Thanks for the suggestions Roy. I think I will split off a couple of gallons and do some experimenting.

BTW, the batch is down to 1.032 tonight and smelling fantastic!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back