Need a corker.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just used a double lever corker to bottle my first batch of wine. I used #9 corks that the supply store advised me would be difficult but not impossible to get in. They actually worked well, I soaked for 20 min in sanitizer solution and they went in very easy. The only problem I has was it took a small "bite" out of each of the corks on the top of the bottle? I only borrowed this from a friend, returned today and will be buying a floor corker soon. I could see how #8's would be easy to use. I just like thing to look nice after so much time has gone into it. I posted a picture here, you can kinda see how the cork has a small piece missing at the top.

nolabels.jpg

Last edited:
Nathan, nice looking wine. Your guy was right in saying #8's would have been easier with your corker. The main reason your corks broke off was from soaking them so long in meta. This will certainly lead to them failing and disintegrate faster. No worries though, drink the wine in the next year. You can get a great deal on floor corkers right now through Presque Isle wine cellars. With a floor corker use #9 corks and you'll have no issues. Do not sanitize them. Just insert them dry. Also Never use a meta based sanitizer on your corker. I have never heard of a winery sanitizing corks and I'm in the industry.

Nathan, nice looking wine. Your guy was right in saying #8's would have been easier with your corker. The main reason your corks broke off was from soaking them so long in meta. This will certainly lead to them failing and disintegrate faster. No worries though, drink the wine in the next year. You can get a great deal on floor corkers right now through Presque Isle wine cellars. With a floor corker use #9 corks and you'll have no issues. Do not sanitize them. Just insert them dry. Also Never use a meta based sanitizer on your corker. I have never heard of a winery sanitizing corks and I'm in the industry.

Thanks for the information why they were damaged. I'll pass it on to my friend who is planning on using this for the first time... I didn't know if a #8 cork would have given a "good" seal the way he was explaining it to me???

My experience with divots in the cork is a bit different. I found that it is difficult to get a straight push on the cork with the 2 handle. If I start the cork in, release pressure on the cork, and then repeat several times, continuing to seat the cork, the cork and corker will align and a straight push will result. Soaking or not made no difference.
Also, #8 corks are fine for some bottles. I have found the throat of wine bottles is not a consistant diameter.
Be aware that cork pullers that "screw" the cork screw in by sqeezing a handle tend to push a #8 into the bottle.

Well I must be a wimp because I can only do #8's with my double handle corker and we are looking a floor corker because I am enjoying making to much wine. Now my problem is I don't live near any place that sells this stuff and I keep reading and don't know which to go to.

Well I must be a wimp because I can only do #8's with my double handle corker and we are looking a floor corker because I am enjoying making to much wine. Now my problem is I don't live near any place that sells this stuff and I keep reading and don't know which to go to.

You aren't a wimp, I call those things double handled knuckle breakers. If you think you will stick with this hobby, get a floor corker. I prefer the blue Italian one, but the smaller portugese red one works just fine also.

I think the best you can get for under $30 is a Portugese Double Lever Corker.

View attachment 12321

Be aware that the biggest complaint against that corker is that it should be used by two people (according to those who tried it) You can find them very inexpensively on EBay and that along with the complaints, was why I didn't go with it. Loved the price but apparently some folks found it to be a challenge.

I went with a table-top version of a floor corker. I fastened it to a 1x6x20" board and put it on the countertop to use. They have gone up in price but I got it at a pretty good deal.

Last edited:

Presque Isle prices are high! The Portuguese Floor Corker is $20 less at LabelPeelers. It's tough to beat Label Peelers price on just about anything.

Lot's of differing opinion here - so figured i'd also add my two cents. When i started making wine from kits some five years ago my equipment kit came with the typical two hand corker. This was okay for a while but a little awkward to use - had to bend over while holding bottle between legs. Obviously not the best way to cork a bottle of wine. As my interest grew along with my volume of wine to be bottled , I looked into a floor corker. I decided to get one that would last and give me the best flexibility as far as bottling went. My search led me to the Ferrari floor corker with brass jaws. It's been a dream to use and I've found that it does work well with man-made corks.

I just ordered a Portuguese double lever corker. I appreciate all the input. I don't see myself doing enough wine making/bottling to justify the cost of a floor corker.
This answered the question I was going to ask -- How much will you use it?

To chime in, I started with a double level corker. Still a have it, some place (I think). After a few years I purchased a floor corker -- still using it 3 decades later. My children are interested in wine making, so I'll probably hand it down at some point.

This is the question for ALL equipment purchases: Is it worth it to me, given how much I expect to use it?

This answered the question I was going to ask -- How much will you use it?

To chime in, I started with a double level corker. Still a have it, some place (I think). After a few years I purchased a floor corker -- still using it 3 decades later. My children are interested in wine making, so I'll probably hand it down at some point.

This is the question for ALL equipment purchases: Is it worth it to me, given how much I expect to use it?
That about sums it up very well

Latest posts

Back