Need a check on my acid calculation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jal5

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For a 5 g batch of pear wine. I did bench trial using acid blend in 10% solution. Put 1ml into 100 ml wine and 2 ml into a second glass 100 ml of wine we like the 2 ml better.

the calculation:
5g = 19l
19l=19000ml
2/100=x/19000
X=380 ml

i add 380 ml of acid blend solution to my 5g. Did I do this right?
Should I add less and see how it blends?

joe

For a 5 g batch of pear wine. I did bench trial using acid blend in 10% solution. Put 1ml into 100 ml wine and 2 ml into a second glass 100 ml of wine we like the 2 ml better.

the calculation:
5g = 19l
19l=19000ml
2/100=x/19000
X=380 ml

i add 380 ml of acid blend solution to my 5g. Did I do this right?
Should I add less and see how it blends?

joe

Don't see any problems with your calculations, but why wouldn't you just add the acid blend straight into the wine and mix it up, instead of adding water to the wine? I know it's not a lot, but I'd imagine that pear has a pretty light flavor already..................

Whichever way you go, it's always best to go a little slow, maybe add 1/2, taste, add another 1/4, taste, etc., until you get to your final spot. You can always keep adding, much harder to take it back.

Thanks John. I thought it might be best to add it slowly tasting along the way. It seemed easier to me to determine how much to add to the 5g to get to the level of acid taste we wanted by making a solution. Joe

Back