• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Wine Making Talk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

need a carboy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wray

Reaction score
I broke my 6 gal (Mexican)carboy .All I can find to replace it are the Italian made ,which are larger.If anyone has a 6 gal. Mexican carboy for sale please let me know Wray

I doubt any one or place will part with them.. Good luck though.

Id just get the ew carboy and top up with a like wine, it wont be that much different, I have a ew of these Italian and the difference aint much at all although everyone will vary as did the Mexican ones!

I think it's typically 750ml to 1 litre difference (I've never actually measured). So if you have a cellar built up, no problem. No cellar, then it could be a big added cost.

Wray:

Have you checked the 'usual suspects'? Freecycle, cheapcycle, kijij, craigslist? I saw a couple for sale in a local water store recently, so just keep your eyes open.

Steve

Sometimes you can find carboys at flea markets as well if you are lucky. I haven't been, but my brother has found several.

I don't like the ribs on the Italian carboys, the settlings sit on ribs and get into wine when racking off. Keep an eye on Craig's list, I have found a few there

broken carboy

I droped it about 2 inches when I was setting it down. It did not shatter, but put a hair line crack in the base. I dont feel it is safe to use.I would not trust 6 gal. of liquid in it.I guess the Italian carboy will just have to be for the final racking . thanks for keeping your eyes out for me

I don't like the ribs on the Italian carboys, the settlings sit on ribs and get into wine when racking off.
Usually if you give the carboy a sharp twist, the sediment caught in the grooves will free up and settle down in a day or two.

Steve

I have found 6 gallon ones at Liquor Barn here in Ky. Bad thing now they are not stocking much now. I was going to get some bottles last week but the shelves were empty of a lot of wine making supplies.

Mark

Usually if you give the carboy a sharp twist, the sediment caught in the grooves will free up and settle down in a day or two.

Steve
I know, just like not having to deal with it. Using my Mexican bottles as much as possible. Hell I hate they they are more than 6 gallons ,too. To much head room so they are good as secondary fermenters. I dont care if they have head room and leave some lees in wine when coming out of Secondary:sn is no big deal

I have been finding Mexican carboys on Craigslist. Type carboy or wine in the search box in the General page.

I think someone should invent a rubber bottom to slip over the carboy. may prevent damage

get one of those rubber shower mats...cut to fit and glue or velcro or just use as is to prevent slippage on the floor or tables

Latest posts

Back