Nebie needs help! Is my Cabernet still fermenting??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bstnh1

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm on my second WE kit - Selection Int'l French Cabernet Sauvignon. My first kit, Italian Pinot Grigio turned out fine - no problems. But the Cabernet is giving me fits. Primary fermentation went fine. Secondary went fine. After the prescribed time SG was down to 994. There was no action in the airlock. I degassed, added the K-Meta, sorbate and clarifier per the directions, degassed again. The next day I noticed pressure building up in the airlock. The second day it was still occurring so I degassed again using the whip for about an hour. That didn't stop the pressure from building up in the airlock. I'm at a loss as to what's going on. I feel I degassed sufficiently. Could I still have a fermentation perking away even though there was no evidence of this before I degassed? Temperature has remained constant at 73.9. Barometric pressure has remained constant. If I release pressure in the airlock, it builds back up in less than 2 hours, acting like the last days of a secondary fermentation. Does anyone have an idea of what's going on?

Last edited:
If its at 0.994 then no its not fermenting. More than likely its still releasing some residual CO2. I would let it clear for a week or two then rack off the fines, top up and let it age for a bit more then bottle per directions as long as all CO2 is gone via taste test or try a Vacuvin on it with a 3 piece airlock to see if you get any more CO2. Reds seem to hold on to CO2 more than Whites.

Could You possibly going thru malolatic ? I know you mentioned already about adding sulfite - just thinking

Latest posts

Back