WineXpert Nebbiolo Kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BabaPerson

Junior
Reaction score
I just started a new Nebbiolo kit. I'm substituting a Lalvin Barolo BRL97 yeast, hopefully to heighten the authenticity of this wine. I'm using Go-Ferm & 2 doses of Fermaid as per directions from More Wine. The kit actually comes with 5 packs (!) of oak. I'll use the first three in the primary, and substitute a French Oak infusion spiral in the polishing phase for the American oak cubes supplied.

Finally, I am actually ahead in my wine production, so I plan to lay these bottles own for about 2 years before diving in. I need to get some good corks.

I bought more yeast than I need, so if anyone wants to duplicate this, send me your address and I'll send you some BRL97.

David

Oh I wish I could renege where I heard this.

I'm so old I don't even buy green bananas. Today I feel like that and how it relates to wine aging.

LOL Hadn't heard that one till now... And as my Dad used to say "I resemble that remark!".
old+man+cartoon

Oh I wish I could renege where I heard this.

I'm so old I don't even buy green bananas. Today I feel like that and how it relates to wine aging.

I think George Burns said that about green bananas....funny guy that I hear say a bad word. Class.

I’m in that club. I’m not familiar with BRL97 but I believe a yeast change is the best all around tweet.

Wait till you guys are in your seventies as I am and we'll see how long you age your kit wines. :dg:D
I started making wine in 2011, It took me several years to realize that if I make more than we drink, We will end up with wine that's properly aged. If you're not aging at least a few bottles from each batch for two years or more, you're really missing out. Make more!

I'm fortunate to have a dedicated wine room, making 350-450 bottles a year. Currently 22 carboys &'one barrel. But it's still difficult to age our wines. But our oldest is now almost 10 years old. Patience & self control along with increased production is the answer to aging your wines.Roy

My max is 9 batches at once, with an extra carboy to allow for moving wine. I have a few plastic carboys sitting idle, too. But, I can't use the AIO on them. Maybe I should sell the plastics carboys and pick up one or two more glass... hmmm.

My max is 9 batches at once, with an extra carboy to allow for moving wine. I have a few plastic carboys sitting idle, too. But, I can't use the AIO on them. Maybe I should sell the plastics carboys and pick up one or two more glass... hmmm.

I'm pretty sure you can adapt your AIO to work with plastic. Contact Steve aka @vacuumpumpman.

Just rack using the AIO to your "extra" glass one, then clean the plastic one and gravity feed back into it. That's actually what I do most times and it seems to work well. The added plus for me is that when I lug the wine back to the cellar, it's much lighter than if I had it in glass. I know you are right there in that room, but someday I could see you expand into every room in the house...I'm almost there. Have some beer cold crashing in the garage, wine in the kitchen and living room, wine in the cellar. Just need to incorporate the bedrooms into the process, I think I'll pass on the bathrooms. I need a quiet place where wine isn't readily accessible.

. I know you are right there in that room, but someday I could see you expand into every room in the house...I'm almost there. Have some beer cold crashing in the garage, wine in the kitchen and living room, wine in the cellar. Just need to incorporate the bedrooms into the process, I think I'll pass on the bathrooms. I need a quiet place where wine isn't readily accessible.

Mrs Mann is likely a no on that plan.

FYI, they now sell an attachment for $30 that you can use on plastic bottles. I would call Steve since he was a great resource. I ended up not buying the AIO pump since I only make a few kits and racking ins't that inconvenient since my siphon clasp works really well, so it's pretty much hands free until the end. But Steve answered a lot of questions, including the new attachment for plastic carboys

Latest posts

Back