natural versus synthetic

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Which one would you perfer and why???

If I were a commercial winery, and the wine was intended to be consumed within 1-2 years, then screw top. It makes it easy for the consumer to open and store whatever is left for the next day.

Otherwise, Nomacorc. Commercial Wineries can get Nomacorc with varying air permeability (allow for slow aging). For the Commercial Wineries and individual, it is consistency of performance, no worry about cork taint, don't have to worry about the cork degrading, competitively priced, and looks "traditional".

I would never use a noma cork with a big red. If I ever bought a bottle of red with a Noma it would be the last bottle I ever bought from them.

I would never use a noma cork with a big red. If I ever bought a bottle of red with a Noma it would be the last bottle I ever bought from them.

Unfortunately Dan, I'm seeing more and more commercial wineries using synthetic corks. It seems that only the smaller to mid size wineries at sticking with the traditional corks. I can't remember the last time I purchased a bottle of wine at the State Store. Its either my own wine or wine from local wineries for us.

Back