Natural/Spontaneous Fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A lot of great comments on here regarding the potential benefits of natural/wild yeast fermentation of wine,
From the experiences provided it certainly makes a case for going with natural/wild yeasts.
The caveats I would add are:
> Do you know what yeasts are present in your wine making location and on your grapes /fruit?
> Are you a risk taker?
> Are you experienced enough to recognize when things aren't going right and will you know how fix the issues.

Someone who lives near a known good location where excellent wines are produced will like have a better chance for a happy outcome than someone who lives in a desert or area where serious mold issues exist. Basic biology applies.

I say this because unless you know what is or is not out there, a beginner might be far better off to start off with more controlled conditions until they have successfully run through the entire process a time or two OR unless you have an experienced person to coach you through a natural ferment.

Find your happy place and go for it.

Last edited:
The theory that the yeast growing on the grape is the most appropriate yeast has been explained to me several times.

Looking at the situation, I disagree. Neither the grapes nor the yeast care about the wine that will result from their joining -- their purpose is to survive and propagate. The yeast that dominates in a given vineyard is the one that beat out its competition. The grapes are the ones humans planted because of the characteristics of the resulting wine.

I have a theory that the best wines in Europe are a result of numerous factors, which includes the grapes, planted by humans in the most ideal terroir which includes local soil and weather. The critical factor was simple luck -- the strains that dominated those vineyards proved to be ones that were ideal for the wine.

Some of the oldest vineyards in the USA and other countries may be in the same situation, where the dominant strain of yeast produces good wine. With newer vineyards there is no track record to make that determination.

Muddying the waters further, what is the common saying on this forum? Ask a question of 10 winemakers, you'll get at least 11 opinions.

Is the natural yeast in a vineyard the best for the wine, or is that just one opinion? Personal preference will play a role in deciding which is best, yet another random factor.

Normally I don't know the vineyard(s) my grapes come from, and my risk tolerance is too low for me to try natural fermentation. I put way too much time, effort, and money into my wines to consider risking that the yeast that wins the battle is one I want. So I use commercial yeast with known characteristics, making a starter to help ensure my chosen champion will win the day.

Please note that I'm not arguing against fermenting with indigenous yeast. I'm explaining why I don't do it, and probably never will. I've had naturally fermented wines, including @Cynewulf's, and all were good. It all comes down to personal risk tolerance.

Looking at the situation, I disagree. Neither the grapes nor the yeast care about the wine that will result from their joining -- their purpose is to survive and propagate. The yeast that dominates in a given vineyard is the one that beat out its competition. The grapes are the ones humans planted because of the characteristics of the resulting wine.

I have a theory that the best wines in Europe are a result of numerous factors, which includes the grapes, planted by humans in the most ideal terroir which includes local soil and weather. The critical factor was simple luck -- the strains that dominated those vineyards proved to be ones that were ideal for the wine.

I agree. And this has actually be studied in Europe.

Even in Jeff Cox's 1999 book "From Vines to Wines" he mentions this research. Basically in Europe: "good alchol tollerant wine yeasts are inhabitants of wineries, not grapes on the vine,"

That is, over a very long time, such good yeast populations have developed where the wine is actually made, as that is where they are indeed under real selection pressure. So over a few hundred or thousand years of wine making in a winery these populations have grown to an extent in the winery, that these "good" yeasts will easily and naturally inoculate the grapes once they are brought to the winery. But less so in newer wine regions as such good yeast populations have not built up so much there. But... It only takes one cell of the best yeast to inoculate, so, yes, even in the newer wine regions, luck can play role there.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back