Nat's

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've had Nat problems now and then, ,,,, I've always spread Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth,,,, but i did not know I'd run out, ,, and i got the worst case of Nats I've ever had, ,, and with the carriers so backed up, my wonderment is, on airlocked carboys, i believe that i could mist using a spray bottle rubbing alcohol, to directly kill those flying around, not my first choice, yet not a clue when my Diatomaceous earth will come in,,,, now I'm not , talking about soaking anything, just a light fine mist to kill those i can see flying around my S air locked carboys???
Dawg

II use a spray dispenser that emits a food grade pesticide every 15 minutes to deal with the problem when it occurs

I've had some luck with a little wine placed in a small jar. Place some saran wrap over it with a rubber band to hold it Then use a toothpick to push it down into a funnel shape with small hole in it. Give them what they want - a dash of your wine but like Hotel California they can never leave.

I've had some luck with a little wine placed in a small jar. Place some saran wrap over it with a rubber band to hold it Then use a toothpick to push it down into a funnel shape with small hole in it. Give them what they want - a dash of your wine but like Hotel California they can never leave.
i got them little jars everywhere, got nat traps (little plastic apples with slots) that i pour wine in, got fly strips, ,,, can't fnd where their breading, since my area is where yu can see all the floor, yet i got tons, just started a week or so ago, 99,9% of the time i have nothing, my wine room is kept sanitized,
Dawg

I had more gnats (that's what I called them anyway) and fruit flies than ever this Fall/Winter. Lots more! I found that the gnats came from potted plants that my wife brought in for the winter and I believe most of the fruit flies came from the bananas and tomatoes I had ripening in the kitchen.

I have the same little red apple traps that Dawg mentions, and they worked pretty good with a bit of banana peel and wine as bait, for the fruit flies. They finally went away in a week or so.

For the gnats, I used sticky yellow traps with a light on them at night. These caught a LOT of gnats but they just kept coming. When we realized they were reproducing in the potted plant soil, we started trying different online "cures" like a layer of sand on top of the soil and watering with a mixture of hydrogen peroxide. Didn't help. Finally, we covered the soil with diatomaceous earth and that did it.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B081ZFF9S9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

"Gnats" can describe a bunch of different flying pests. The common household gnats include fungus flies, fruit flies, phorid flies, and moth flies. Fungus gnats reproduce in soil and commonly infect houseplants. Best prevention is to let soil dry out between watering, however some plants can tolerate this better than others. The other 3 can reproduce in your drains or other areas that stay wet, such as under a leaking sink. Sink gnats are difficult to control but using a brush to clean inside drain can remove many of the larvae and reduce the number of gnats. You can also control adults with a fly swatter or even a vacuum with a hose.

"Gnats" can describe a bunch of different flying pests. The common household gnats include fungus flies, fruit flies, phorid flies, and moth flies. Fungus gnats reproduce in soil and commonly infect houseplants. Best prevention is to let soil dry out between watering, however some plants can tolerate this better than others. The other 3 can reproduce in your drains or other areas that stay wet, such as under a leaking sink. Sink gnats are difficult to control but using a brush to clean inside drain can remove many of the larvae and reduce the number of gnats. You can also control adults with a fly swatter or even a vacuum with a hose.
[/QUOTE
whew, i had no ideal,,, ok first I'm single, so just one plant at the kitchen sink,,,, opposite end, of the place, so that rules out plants and potting soil, but you learned this old dawg something new,,, Thank You,,, these are tiny, so no salt gun @RickD , but i like the way you think,,,, and my prep table and triple basin sink are all commercial and i have a rolling 4 shelf that's 2 x 2 and has rollers, so i can see every where ,,,,everything is on legs or rollers,,, no cabinets,,, but @Mary Hedenberg i believe has hit the nail on the head,,, one basin in my sink has a very small leak, so small it would be to much trouble to fix since i got a huge stainless steel bowl, that at best keeps less then a 1/4 inch of water in it, so i believe not only,,,, did i get pointed in the right direction,,,, but i now see I should of pulled the strainer basket and put some plumbers putty in it, then reset it, and move the bowl back to my other bowls and trays,,,, and like @reeflections said this has also had my worst year with black and fruit and bot flies, ticks, chiggers, ,,,, all the rest you mentioned,,, Miss Mary ,, well they'd have to wear name tags for me to know, difference ,, but yep right there in the open in plain sight sits that tiny bit of stagnate water, 1/4 of a shot glass at most, but that's all it takes, I wish to thank each and every one of ya'll ,,, well except for @sour_grapes ,,, not him,, but only because I'm contrary,,, :i I've never had nats (gnats) so bad, and i mean enough that i was worried to stir my ferments,,, lol ,,, again Thank Yawl
Dawg

"Gnats" can describe a bunch of different flying pests.
Thanks for the entomology lesson -- we sometimes get fruit flies (or something) when bananas get overripe, and I wondered where they come from. Growing in the drain is probably the last thing I'd expect.

Thanks for the entomology lesson -- we sometimes get fruit flies (or something) when bananas get overripe, and I wondered where they come from. Growing in the drain is probably the last thing I'd expect.
I think that the fruit flies may have come in as eggs on the bananas. I'm guessing of course.

Those traps are worthless. Tried everyone from google and FB. Mine are all fruit flies. They come from when I get some infested fruit and "bug" me for about a month. I just remove all my booze production stuff from house and nuke with RAID flying insect. Gone in 5 seconds.

Those traps are worthless. Tried everyone from google and FB. Mine are all fruit flies. They come from when I get some infested fruit and "bug" me for about a month. I just remove all my booze production stuff from house and nuke with RAID flying insect. Gone in 5 seconds.
I disagree. Those FF traps caught all of the FFs and no poisons were needed. FF were gone in a couple of days. The Fungi gnats took a bit longer but they are all gone now that we used diatomaceous earth on the house plants.

I would not be able to remove all wine production stuff and don't really want to.

good catch, i should of caught that, but did not, i had 2 types ,, what they were I've Nar a clue,, 1 type was a standard size black gnat, ,, the other was so small they were hard to see and were more of a greyish look,,,, but again
Thank You
Dawg

Back