Nasturtium wine ?anyone??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torch404

Reaction score
Hi all,

Quick question I have a gallon batch of Rose petal and Nasturtium flower wine going. I used both flowers due to not having enough of either one to make a batch of just one flower. Looking around the web and the forums I can not find a single Nasturtium wine recipe or any real reference to that being done.

Is there a reason why no body makes them or is it just because they are a little peppery? They certainly imparted a little bit of pepper to the smell of the wine and the color it gave the brew is marvellous as the roses were mostly white-light pink.

Thanks for the info

Shoot, Ive never even heard of that! I thought you were making ancient predictions on wine! :)

Torch, you are not alone. I too, inquired about nasrutian wine. My neighbors grows it like crazy, the leaves are excellent in salad but haven't yet explored making wine from the flowers.

I made a batch of wine using the rose petals of our wild roses here, the same ones you get rose hips from.

The scent wasn't as strong as you would get from "garden" roses but there was a beautiful aroma. I used 1 gallon of petals per gallon of water and augmented it with a bit of white grape juice concentrate.

It was by far the best wine I have ever made. Alot of the gang here have made rose petal wine and say it takes a while to clear and dissapate the rose "flavor", but with the wild ones that wasn't an issue.

I'd like to hear more about the nasturssiams(do I need to spell it right?LOL), even if it doesn't make good wine, they sure are tasty in other capacities. And...they are really pretty to look at and are pretty tough in these climates.

Troy

if you can eat it, you can ferment it.

nasturtium flowers are often used in salads.. Dunno about the flavour though..I have a recipe in one of my books here.

I will also mention I have a recipe for hibiscus flower wine too.

Allie

G, I agree, it may be all fermentable, but. son of a gun, those nastutiums are pretty good just for eating.!!!

I am looking forward to seeing, if, and when, wine could be made from the flowers. I hope we hear more about this.

Troy

I'll let you know how it goes.

I'm new so I wasn't terribly precise with my measurements and I haven't tried to figure out the hydrometer yet. I just racked it and it looks great, smells like nothing, and tastes like rocket fuel. Time will hopefully mellow it some.

2 qts of rose petals
2 qts of nasturtium flowers
Boiled water dumped over it let sit over night
2 lbs sugar
1 cup of Lychee Black tea (upon further reading it should have been 1 tsp)
1/3rd cup golden rains chopped up
Champagne yeast
Yeast nutrient added late
In glass jug for about 30days with airlock just racked it and topped off with water. We'll see how it goes and I'll report back. The rocket fuel taste and lack of aroma makes me think I may have over powered the floral with alcohol. to bad I won't know anything for a long time...gotta get use to that...:re

don't panic about the tea.. just age it a bit longer..

Allie

if you can eat it, you can ferment it.

nasturtium flowers are often used in salads.. Dunno about the flavour though..I have a recipe in one of my books here.

I will also mention I have a recipe for hibiscus flower wine too.

Allie

Well i had never ever in my life heard about it,but its good that
now i know something about it

Last edited:
The ABV may be a bit high but sounds like it's coming along just fine. Patience is the key. Lots of talk in here about rocket fuel, but noone ever talks about actually making a rocket!LOL:D

Get a hydrometer Torch, it is the most important piece of equipment you can have. Essential really.

Troy

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back