WineXpert Napa Valley Stag's Leap Merlot

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruggierm1

Reaction score
Anybody out there makes this kit? Grapestompers is selling it for $127, and I was interested in picking it up. Any help would be appreciated.

:r

i,m in the process of making this kit and just racked it for the second time yesterday. I had a taste and i,m much much happier than the first kit( Chilean malbec) that i just bottled. I,m not going to buy any more cheap kits as i don,t enjoy low alcohol watery wine.This stags leap is going to be much better.

i,m in the process of making this kit and just racked it for the second time yesterday. I had a taste and i,m much much happier than the first kit( Chilean malbec) that i just bottled. I,m not going to buy any more cheap kits as i don,t enjoy low alcohol watery wine.This stags leap is going to be much better.

Thanks for the review. My first kit was a Spagnols Grand Cru Malbec, which although it is tasty, does have a thinner taste to it. I'm hoping some further aging will help that out.

I have a WE Barolo (15L) that I just started bulk aging a couple of weeks ago, and WE Australian Cab/Sauv (15L) kit that is in the secondary fermentation process. Both of which I am looking forward to enjoying probably around December or beyond.:h

Anybody out there makes this kit? Grapestompers is selling it for $127, and I was interested in picking it up. Any help would be appreciated.

:r
I tell you the only problem with this kit
.After you drink it you will be sorry that you did not make two batches.
Really, its one of the best you can make. It has won many awards.
:b

It is one of the best Wine Expert kits, or really any kit I have made to date. It is a very good wine. I did let it age to almost 3 years though. Absolutely fantastic wine though.

I am currently making this kit. It is in the primary right now. Anybody have any suggestions or tips beyond the instructions to make this as good as it can be?

My previous Chilean Pinot turned out a little thin so I might possibly add some body to this kit by adding glycerine before bottling.

Thanks for any help

Bill

Bill,

With the better kits it's best to follow the instructions, I'm still finishing an orange muscat all juice kit.. it was supposed to be a 6 week kit and currently at 9 weeks, just put the finings in this week and the main point of difference is that I will bulk store it probably 3 to 4 months before bottling.

with a red, some may suggest bulk storing a bit longer before bottling.

Allie

I dont like these no grape skin kits too much but must say that with time the Stags Leap is awesome and I would do a thing to it.

Thanks for everyones input.

St. Allie - When do you start bulk aging it?
Do you rack the wine one more additional time intead of bottling then let it sit?

I don't plan on making anymore for a couple of months so I am thinking of letting it sit.

Thank you

Bulk aging starts when your wine is stabilized and racked from the secondary.
Remember to add 1/4 tsp of k-meta every 3moths

Do not add 1/4 tsp for every 3 moths espcially if you have the basemnet door open and a light on in there! :)

Do not add 1/4 tsp for every 3 moths espcially if you have the basemnet door open and a light on in there! :)

Like "HE" don't have any SPEELING misteaks.. LOL !
CAUTION !!!
Da Speeelinfg polelice R hear Booking 4 a vicktim !

Yea, you are right, my 2 fingers go way to fast for my own good. Im actually a very good speller but I cant type for sh!t!

I dont like these no grape skin kits too much but must say that with time the Stags Leap is awesome and I would do a thing to it.

So, Wade,

Awesome is a pretty good critique of the Stags Leap. Do you have any other kits from any manufacturer that you like even more than this one?

And I know, "LIKE" is a relative term. I like full bodied, medium tannins dry red.

My next kit or two, I want to be VERY good, even if I have to pay a little more. I prefer a recommendation of people who have actually made these, instead of the recommendation of my LHBS, whom I am currently not pleased with.

I am also currently making this kit, can't wait to get drinking it but seriously worry I won't have the patience. Out of curiosity I'll be trying a bottle after 3 months and take it from there. I may have to get my wife to hide a case somewhere with strict instructions not to let me at it until 2014!!!!

This post is now quite old so: please update how was it?!!

I have been making this one for a number of years (5 or 6 times). It has always been a very unique wine with loads of plums on the nose and palette. The last batch I bottled in the spring is different; there is not a plum to be found, and it actually resembles the Lodi Ranch 11 cab more than the Stag's Leap District Merlot. I would still recommend it but with the caveat that you consider avoiding the following code:
0914611 (0304). In fact, it might be best to avoid the 11 year code altogether.

Latest posts

Back