Naming your wine idea!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve got a green bottle in the closet with no label on it and I don’t remember what it is. What should I name it ?
I think the French language can offer some nice obfuscation. For example -

Buvez-moi (drink me)
Vin Mystere (mystery wine)
J'ai Oublie (I forgot)
Je Ne Sais Pas (I don't know)
Bouteille Verte (Green Bottle)

I think the French language can offer some nice obfuscation. For example -

Buvez-moi (drink me)
Vin Mystere (mystery wine)
J'ai Oublie (I forgot)
Je Ne Sais Pas (I don't know)
Bouteille Verte (Green Bottle)
I think the time of names is past, what is required now, Is a bottle opener.

I became tired of naming my wines "Blueberry Wine" or "Cherry Wine" or anything that will be duplicated probably pretty soon and then it's gonna be "Blueberry Wine II", "Cherry Wine II" and then the only difference will be batch # or year, so I came up with an idea of naming them more creatively. Because I am a big fan of classic rock music, 60's and 50' as well as classic music I will start to name my wines like "Blueberry Hill" (after Blueberry hill hit) or Pink Floyd (whatever was made pink), or Black Sabbath, Blondie, King Crimson, etc. "1784" is my favorite to name my first Merlot, as year1784 was when the first time the word Merlot was mention in French press. I'm curious what is the source of your ideas.
This year we just the names of the wine with the exception of the cinnamon apple we made. My gramps used to call our town Sin City. Soooo….my wife comes up with CinCity Apple for the cinnamon apple wine.

Attachments

• 42F98B3F-35B3-458F-A6D6-EF633F8170A3.jpeg
    42F98B3F-35B3-458F-A6D6-EF633F8170A3.jpeg
    968.8 KB · Views: 0
Same here.

I listen to music while working in the cellar - like from the moment I walk down the stairs until I shut the lights and walk back up. Early on in the process of winemaking, a song grabs my attention (e.g. I named a Malbec All Along the Watchtower because I heard it on the way back from DC from picking up the grapes... Perfect). Other times, it's just a favorite song that "fits" the wine. If I make that particular wine again, the name usual sticks. These days, my wife doesn't ask for a cab or a merlot or a chard. She asks for some "Moondance," or "Wish You Were Here," or "Goodbye Blue Sky" (respectively).

This weekend, I labeled a merlot (Wish You Were Here), the Grenache Rose (Summer Breeze) and a Petit Sirah (Wonderful Tonight). My wife named the rose (I make it for her). The other two have been in rotation since about 2016.

Latest posts

Back