Naming your wine idea!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ericphotoart

Reaction score
I became tired of naming my wines "Blueberry Wine" or "Cherry Wine" or anything that will be duplicated probably pretty soon and then it's gonna be "Blueberry Wine II", "Cherry Wine II" and then the only difference will be batch # or year, so I came up with an idea of naming them more creatively. Because I am a big fan of classic rock music, 60's and 50' as well as classic music I will start to name my wines like "Blueberry Hill" (after Blueberry hill hit) or Pink Floyd (whatever was made pink), or Black Sabbath, Blondie, King Crimson, etc. "1784" is my favorite to name my first Merlot, as year1784 was when the first time the word Merlot was mention in French press. I'm curious what is the source of your ideas.

Interesting post! I am not too creative but I try for something original each time. My latest apple wine was nearly ruined by “someone” 🙄 almost mixing in about 8 cups of citric acid thinking it was sugar. I caught it just in time to scoop most of it out! My wife said we should name it “Crisis Averted”. Or maybe “Pay Attention Dumba$$”

@Ericphotoart I really like the song/wine name theme. Whatever the genre, the possibilities are endless.
image.jpg
This is my wild grape. Now I know I should have done “Walk on the Wild Side”. Next time!

My label making skills need work! I was struggling to add a faded photo background but gave up.

Last edited:
Latest example...
Naming my wines is a continuation of the fun I'm having with this wonderful hobby. Some are obvious, some are obscure but I know what they are immediately.
I'm starting a 3 gallon batch of cranberry this week and it will be called "Zombie".
90's music if you need a hint.

Latest example...
Naming my wines is a continuation of the fun I'm having with this wonderful hobby. Some are obvious, some are obscure but I know what they are immediately.
I'm starting a 3 gallon batch of cranberry this week and it will be called "Zombie".
Thanks...I now have that going through my head on repeat :)

My first wine ever I called “Train-wreck”. It became wine despite all my best efforts and wasn't too bad if I remember. Wow that was some learning experience. Since then I’ve leaned more towards the variety and year, but I do like the idea of an appropriate name if it really stands out, especially for non-grape wines like SP, DB, Mohito…

Latest example...

Considered naming one of my wines "Dirty Harry" because in his famous movie there is a line of : "go ahead, make my day". This wine really does make my day!

Latest posts

Back