Naming Wines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildSeedGrrrl

Reaction score
Besides the obvious naming by ingredients, I was wondering how folks decide to give names to their wines. Since I just started making wine I haven't had the chance to name many but I've noticed a trend. I tend to name my wine based on the situations that surround when I start making them.

So I have: Coraline, Iron Range, Hawaii, and Dissolution. The last two are my meads and though sweet, they mark the least pleasant of wine making days.:D

I would be curious to hear the stories around other wine names.

Well For the wine That we will serve at my wedding we have "You are Cordially Invited", For two Mead we have "Guide to Valhalla" which is a blueberry mead, and "Nectar of Asgard" a cinnamon Mead. we have one that is a scrapbook wine we call the “Remnant bastard” which is made up from a little bet of everything we have made.

Lol I love the Remnant Bastard, great name.

Conquistadude Im new to this too but Im thinking about names now as well. I had a look on thesaurus.com for ideas as in type in the type of fruit and see what it comes up with. Then choose stuff from there, it even brings up mind maps that help too.

I labelled the wine that was made from all the leftovers

BEWARE!

hehehehe

Allie

well, since my wine is basically being made from experimentation of ingredients which i dont think people usually use, i was planning on calling it "innovation". :p

hello
Similar to Cdude, I have a couple called 'Orphans' and 'Mongrel' (bite is worse than the bark). My best recipes are called 'Bert' and 'Lilly' - quite refined and proper. Conventions? Why? My friends and myself are never impressed with namedropping. Don't we all have better things to do?
Enjoy

WildSeeedGirl I have to ask about the "Iron Range" wine because I live on the Mesabi Range and can only assume that thats the one your refering too there... Unless it is the Crosby/Ironton one I guess... If you got some kind of story on that I would be pretty interested in hearing it though. :)

I for one dont want to call my potato wine "Potato wine" its off putting for starters! It needs a name drop!!! lol:D

I hadnt thought of really fancy names though, will have to go back to the drawing borad, I think since Im mad and bad Ill have to have some totally off the wall crazy ones...watch this spcae.

I feel enlightened!:D

I have a pear/white grape (mostly pear) which turned out a little more like rocket fuel than I'd hoped. (Hopefully it will have settled down by next summer). We're thinking of calling it "Gotta Pear?" then a small caption ... you'll need 'em to drink more than a glass.

(Yeah, I know, a little sexist a crude, whatever...);)

I for one dont want to call my potato wine "Potato wine" its off putting for starters! It needs a name drop!!! lol:D

How about "Frylocks Love child" lol

frylock.jpg

A genius in all of us

Con, you may very well be a genius, a little goofy, but a genius none the less.:)
Troy

Some have said worse, but we wont let that affect our friendship.:D
Troy

Pretty cool Con! I've said it before in here, I think a wine can only be as good as it's label, sure have seen a bunch of very creative ones in here. I haven't made any lables yet but I expect it is as much fun as making the wine itself.

Iron Range

WildSeeedGirl I have to ask about the "Iron Range" wine because I live on the Mesabi Range and can only assume that thats the one your refering too there... Unless it is the Crosby/Ironton one I guess... If you got some kind of story on that I would be pretty interested in hearing it though. :)

I have a friend who is from Grand Rapids, MN which is up on the iron range and I'm making it for her. So it's really not as interesting as you might think. I have no idea where Mesabi is, but I'm not from MN so I'm not familiar with 96% of the state.

WSG

ooooohhhhhhh Conquistadude is that for me? Or have you made potato wine too? Very groovy!!!!

Im not too hopeful on that potato brew of mine now, it didnt taste as lovely on the last siphon as before, Im favouring the passionfruit one now!!!:D

Im not clever enough to come up with good names so I just call them as they are!

Latest posts

Back