Naked wines company

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wood1954

Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my quest to find affordable wine to drink while my homemade wine ages I decided to try this company. Their business model is pretty cool they fund winemakers all over the world and then sell them to investors like me. No questions asked if you want a refund on a wine You don’t like. Should have my first order this week. You can setup an automatic account to save up for the wines you want, it seems affordable and a way to try many different wines.

Jim Duane has a podcast with two reps from the company, I got that impression that they don’t age their wines that much. Hopefully I’ll find some drinkable wines and some to age for a while. Prices seem pretty good.

Jim Duane has a podcast with two reps from the company, I got that impression that they don’t age their wines that much. Hopefully I’ll find some drinkable wines and some to age for a while. Prices seem pretty good.

One gets at least, in the best case scenario, what one pays for. Nothing more. Worst case, or more often the case, you get a lot less.

One should not look for a Cadillac in a Cracker Jack Box *.

Just saying....

* Shamelessly stolen from Meat Loaf: "Two Out Of Three Ain't Bad"

One gets at least, in the best case scenario, what one pays for. Nothing more. Worst case, or more often the case, you get a lot less.

One should not look for a Cadillac in a Cracker Jack Box *.

Just saying....

* Shamelessly stolen from Meat Loaf: "Two Out Of Three Ain't Bad"
Big Meatloaf fan! (Cuz Two Outta 3 Ain't Bad!)

Cheers!

We enjoyed Naked Wines for quite a few years. Found some absolutely fantastic wines for the price points (to gently counter balatonwine :) ). The only "problem" I had was they are all small wineries with limited production, so when you do find that gem, there are usually no more to buy. It's a fantastic way to taste different wines and educate your palate.

We enjoyed Naked Wines for quite a few years. Found some absolutely fantastic wines for the price points (to gently counter balatonwine :) ). The only "problem" I had was they are all small wineries with limited production, so when you do find that gem, there are usually no more to buy. It's a fantastic way to taste different wines and educate your palate.
Thats what im looking for. different wines at good prices.

I joined a little over a year ago, and just stopped my 'subscription'. I loved the service, the ease of ordering, and the variety of wines, and of course their mission to assist small growers. Like many have pointed out, the wines are usually not costly (not cheap in producing but inexpensive) and are on the young side...most bottles having to be put away for a couple of years to fully age, or drink now at the cost of the wine achieving its potential. All in all, due to the young age of the wines (and my lack of a wine cellar), I decided to move on and try something else.

I joined a little over a year ago, and just stopped my 'subscription'. I loved the service, the ease of ordering, and the variety of wines, and of course their mission to assist small growers. Like many have pointed out, the wines are usually not costly (not cheap in producing but inexpensive) and are on the young side...most bottles having to be put away for a couple of years to fully age, or drink now at the cost of the wine achieving its potential. All in all, due to the young age of the wines (and my lack of a wine cellar), I decided to move on and try something else.
Thanks for the info, it may not work for me as I’m really looking for drinkable reds so I can leave mine to age.

One of my best mates is a winemaker that sells through Naked Wines. Rob is as hardworking and as experienced a winemaker as you'll meet, who sources high quality fruit and makes a bloody good drop. I don't buy from NW myself, but if the rest of the winemakers are half as genuine as Rob is there'll be a lot of good stuff on offer.

Thanks for the info, it may not work for me as I’m really looking for drinkable reds so I can leave mine to age.
Wood1954, it's not a wine club but maybe keep an eye on Last Bottle Wines - View Today's Offer They offer one variety of wine a day, some days expensive, some days in the teens. It's interesting to watch what comes through. I've bought a few from them and so far am pleased.

I've been a member of Laithwaites Wine Club for a couple years having switched from Naked Wine. I liked NW's concept but at the time all the wines were domestic, and most were very young as mentioned above. Laithwaites has domestic (mainly California wines) and others from around the world. All seem ready to drink right away. Might be worth a look.

Got my first batch and opened a 2021 Cabernet franc, nice wine definitely needs a couple years aging yet. Not what I want, I want something drinkable now, got 5 more bottles to try:D, I think I can filter on their site by age

After several more bottles I’m disappointed that they are rushing their wines to market. If I wanted harsh young wines I’d drink my own wine. I’ll try a few more with the knowledge that I’m buying them for the future.

Laithwaites. Ready now. See above.
I recently re-signed with Laithwaite. I timed it right and got shipping for 1 year for $40 USD. Normal S&H is $20/12-15 bottles.

The quarterly cases are a crap shoot -- you have NO idea what you're getting other than red, white, or mixed. Every 6 months or so they offer "mystery" cases at a good price, when they are cleaning out excess inventory.

That said, the worst bottle I've received from them was merely good. Never got a bad one. But it requires an open mind, as there's no telling what you'll get. I personally find it fun.

The Costco Wine Advent calendar is the same thing -- the wines are mostly from less known areas, but all were decent. It was enough fun that I purchased a second one!

I recently re-signed with Laithwaite. I timed it right and got shipping for 1 year for $40 USD. Normal S&H is $20/12-15 bottles.

The quarterly cases are a crap shoot -- you have NO idea what you're getting other than red, white, or mixed. Every 6 months or so they offer "mystery" cases at a good price, when they are cleaning out excess inventory.

That said, the worst bottle I've received from them was merely good. Never got a bad one. But it requires an open mind, as there's no telling what you'll get. I personally find it fun.

The Costco Wine Advent calendar is the same thing -- the wines are mostly from less known areas, but all were decent. It was enough fun that I purchased a second one!
This must be a change from when you were signed up before, but I'm pretty sure I saw where you can go online prior to them shipping, see which bottles they plan to send, and make changes within a certain time frame. Also since I've been with them a couple of years, they are tailoring my wines better using my feedback.
Congrats on the shipping deal--that's half price. Excellent. My next box will be arriving soon and it will include 3 free bottles-my wife and I are worth it!

Latest posts

Back