My Wine Press

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The regulator operates in units of Bars.

A bar is 14.5 psi.

It goes all the way up to 300 bars (or 4351 psi).

I normally start by setting it to 10 bars. I leave it on pressure for a while and fork the skins when the pressure stops reducing. I try to never exceed 50 bars.

What si great about the press is that the bottom "pan" is hinged. I simply pull a pin out, and the press basket swivels out from under the plunger.

The regulator operates in units of Bars.

A bar is 14.5 psi.

It goes all the way up to 300 bars (or 4351 psi).

I normally start by setting it to 10 bars. I leave it on pressure for a while and fork the skins when the pressure stops reducing. I try to never exceed 50 bars.

What si great about the press is that the bottom "pan" is hinged. I simply pull a pin out, and the press basket swivels out from under the plunger.

John at 10 bars you are talking 140 psi. Is that correct? I usuall go up to 15 psi and let it sit and then go up to 30 psi max for grapes. Ice wine I go up to 315psi.

The swivel pan you talk about is great. It really makes cleaning up a lot easier.

That is the amount of pressure applied to the plate at the end. When spread out, the psi is much less.

I could so the math..

Lets see, the plate is about 28" in diameter.

Using the formula "pi - r - squared"..

total square inches of plate is 3.14 * 14 * 14...
or 615 square inches.
so, 1 bar would be applying .02356 psi to the grapes.

15 bars, therefore is .3534 psi,

30 bars is .706 psi.

100 (at times) is 2.3 psi

(my mistake on my last post, I normally start off at 15 bars, then go to 30 and leave it there for a while (an hour or so). the regulator keeps the pressure arther constant.

Last edited:
I was interested in building a variation on this theme by using a 20 ton press sold by Harbor Freight Tools for about $150. Then scrounging around for the the juice collector/diverter, basket stuff and that great pressing plate. How did you get that stuff?

thanks, mark

Latest posts

Back