My Wine Press Table Project

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winojoe

Joe "the Grape"
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Found this old wine press on "Let Go" for $40. I was pretty wrecked! Now, it is a cool table for our tasting room.

Replaced the wood with Hickory. Wire wheeled all of the metal parts, then painted with a can of Grey "Hammered-Look" spray paint from Home Depot. Sprayed the action parts with Brown spray paint. Finished it off with Granite.

To keep the basket from moving, I placed the assembled basket on a sheet of 3/4" wood, traced out the basket staves, and then cut out the tracing with a saber saw. The wood fit like a glove into the bottom of the basket. Kept it in place with 4 finish nails.

To keep the top nice and stable (no stress from the staves), another board was placed on across the staves as shown.

Attachments

• 2018-04-20_WinePressTable_IMG_2720.JPG
    2018-04-20_WinePressTable_IMG_2720.JPG
    583 KB · Views: 150
  • 2018-04-20_WinePressTable_IMG_2719.JPG
    2018-04-20_WinePressTable_IMG_2719.JPG
    183.9 KB · Views: 155
I have mixed feelings... On one hand, that is a totally awesome table. On the other hand, it is a reconditioned press that can not longer be used.

I have mixed feelings... On one hand, that is a totally awesome table. On the other hand, it is a reconditioned press that can not longer be used.

I hear you loud and clear. But, I always think ahead; the disassembly of the whole thing is a breeze.
Only two things are required to make it fully operational: 1) New basket staves, since I stained the Hickory. 2) Painting (Powder coating would be best) with FDA compliant paint.

Looks fantastic!
Your dark bottle rack in the back is catching my eye too. I’m gonna be building probably 3 different rack areas- and I’ve been scoping out different styles. You mind posting a pic of that rack if you’ve got one handy?
Looks like you made it for each column to hold a case- with the 12th bottle sitting on top on display.

I wanted to build the racks myself, but just did not have the time to do it.

The racks are from Wine Cellar Innovations:
https://www.winecellarinnovations.c...lf-height-wine-display-merchandisers/6-column

There are four sections pictured there with 6 columns per section. Each column holds 12 bottles.
What is not pictured are the stands. Wife is not happy that they are still not installed.
Total price for everything including shipping was $1110.20

I got the pine wood because of the cheaper price.
They came painted black, but it was not a very good paint job.
So, I grabbed a couple cans of Flat Black spray paint from Home Depot (if you want something done right, you have to do it yourself).

Assembly is required: The two components are the uprights (already completely assembled) and the cross members.
Do not know if they still have this option, but at the time of purchase (Summer of 2017) they would throw in an assembly kit consisting of a pancake compressor, pnuematic brad/finishing nailer, coiled air hose, and an air fitting kit. The assembly kit was all Chinese Tool Store (Harbor Freight) stuff. But, it all worked out great for assembling. Just be careful when using the pnuematic nailer. Keep your fingers clear. The nails do not always go in straight! The grain of the wood can cause the nail to curve. I am speaking from experience. Trust me, it was not a happy experience and I got very lucky that it was not severe. Daddy always told me that you should never make the same mistake twice AND and always learn from other peoples mistakes.

I do plan on making my own racks for the 375mL bottles.
So, I looked at the design of these racks and created an Excel Spreadsheet to perform all the calculations, including a cut-list.
I am such a nerd sometimes!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back