My wine looks like grape juice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Super_zero

Junior
Reaction score
Hi,
This is my first attempt at wine making. Primary fermentation just got completed and I racked it in another bottle for secondary fermentation. My wine at this stage looks like grape juice. Is it normal? Also, would there be a problem if the proportion of grapes added is more? Kindly help.

We are going to need more info.
Do you have a hydrometer to check the specific gravity? (Please include 3 digits to the right of the decimal, ex. 1.090 sg or 1.000)
Are you fermenting on grapes or just the juice and how much per gallon?
How many gallons of wine are you making?
What yeast did you use?

And welcome to WMT

Last edited:
Sorry, I don’t own a hydrometer yet. I used 1.5 gallon jar, grapes and generic instant yeast. Fermentation was good for about 6 days after which it suddenly stopped. I let it stand for 4 more days after which I racked it to a new container.

Pour a small amount (1 oz) into a glass. Smell it then taste it. It won't smell/taste fantastic but will taste more like wine than grape juice assuming you did have 6 days of "good" fermentation and likely fermentation continued slowly for a while longer. And you may be surprised at how good it is.

Get a hydrometer soon. Most important wine making tool in my opinion.

Pour a small amount (1 oz) into a glass. Smell it then taste it. It won't smell/taste fantastic but will taste more like wine than grape juice assuming you did have 6 days of "good" fermentation and likely fermentation continued slowly for a while longer. And you may be surprised at how good it is.

Get a hydrometer soon. Most important wine making tool in my opinion.
Thank you so much for your advice and warm welcome. I never realised how important hydrometer was until this moment. I’ll get one soon. Thanks again

@Super_zero, welcome to WMT!

Save yourself a lot of grief and indecision -- read the beginners forum. You'll find a lot of great information in just the first 2 pages.

For your next batch, use wine yeast. It will make a tremendous difference in the final product.

What type of grapes did you use? and post the exact recipe used (water, amount of grapes, sugar etc). With that information you will get better responses.

And welcome to WMT

Latest posts

Back