my wine hasen't started formenting yet!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Diane,

Do not throw it out yet. Sometimes yeast will take a while to get started.

Also, unless you are taking gravity readings, you don't really know if it's fermenting. Fermentation isn't always obvious visually, especially in a 1 gallon batch. You may have had vigorous fermentation overnight, for example, and see nothing now.

Hope this helps...

Should I add more yeast or just toss it?
Diane:

One of the most annoying things about forums is people who ask questions without providing useful info. You have just said the equivalent of "my car won't start, should I junk it?".

So, here's my answer... "Sure, just toss it my way."

Steve

Diane:

One of the most annoying things about forums is people who ask questions without providing useful info. You have just said the equivalent of "my car won't start, should I junk it?".

Steve

Hello
Let's try to stay positive and constructive. I see Diane has joined us recently. One of the great things about forums is that it includes people of all backgrounds and experience. By encouraging participation, we all benefit.
Enjoy

Hello
Let's try to stay positive and constructive. I see Diane has joined us recently. One of the great things about forums is that it includes people of all backgrounds and experience. By encouraging participation, we all benefit.
Enjoy

Three messages about this problem without telling us anything. Same number of posts that you have made here.

Steve

Diane,
When did you start the wine? Did you follow a recipe? Did you add campden or meta bisulphate? If you measured the SG before adding the yeast what was the SG? Did you measure acid, if so what was the acid level? What kind of fruit or grape was the wine made from? If you added campden how long after did you pitch the yeast? What type of yeast did you use? What is the temp of the room you are fermenting in? Everyone would like to help but need as much info as you can furnish.

Should I add more yeast or just toss it?

Diane
I am new to this wine making thing myself so, first welcome to the forum
I have picked up a lot of useful info here.
What type wine have you started and when was the yeast added. Are the temperatures correct. There are so many variables that more information is needed to help with your problem
Jerry :D

Diane:

Steve

This is the reason I wasnt very active here, you probably just lost a new winemaker who was looking for help and doesnt know what we need to help her. Im sure you were a newbie at one time!

Diane we need more specifics if you are still there, Others will help you here!! In an above post ther is a poster with some intelligent questions needed for us to figure out what is wrong, please respond!

Shouldn't a new member do a little bit of browsing and see if the question is already answered. In doing that, they might at least find out what we need to know.

Other folks have come here and said something like....

"I'm making some wine from apple juice from the store. It doesn't look like it is fermenting. Can anybody help me?"

At least then we know where to start.

Steve

Shouldn't a new member do a little bit of browsing and see if the question is already answered. In doing that, they might at least find out what we need to know.

Other folks have come here and said something like....

"I'm making some wine from apple juice from the store. It doesn't look like it is fermenting. Can anybody help me?"

At least then we know where to start.

Steve

I understand the "search first" mentality to a degree, but beginners often have a hard time knowing exactly what to search for. I also think that this particular user was new to message boards in general, hence the posting of her question all over the place.

I also don't think anyone would disagree that more information would help, but I think I have to agree with Wade that your response sounded fairly hostile. I know you want to help as you were very helpful to me when I first joined and asked my newbie questions, but a complete newbie doesn't know you yet.

Some of these search engines dont work to well, I havent tried the 1 on this forum yet so cant comment on it but know that the other 3 forums I paticipate on are very partici=ulare and even when everything is spelled correctly and I's are dotted they still end up with search not found. judging by the amount of posts you have on this forum Stevev I can see that you are a great help and that sometimes everyone has a bad day, just please refrain from posting when you are P'off!

Some of us have a problem with the search . We don't know the proper term to search for. I am very new to winemaking and do it for my on enjoyment, never striving for absolute perfection wine. I don't even know what a "GOOD" wine is.

I am not new to forums, as I help run 3, a moderator on 2 and admin on one.
Had one of our respected members made such a post to a new member an apology would be in order to that member and a personal message from all the forum staff asking them to stay on and participate in the forum. there is a place in this world for polite questions and positive answers.

I deal with problems related to vehicles on a day to day basis and had I made such a response to a customer my job would belong to someone else

Just Jerry's thoughts take them as such

Sorry guys, I am with Steve.

The question posed tells nothing so no answer can be given.
And if you want answers to questions you will need to provide the things you DO know.
How can someone give an answer to a question that contains no information.

Now the reaction to this can be that the poser of the question is a newbee and does not know where to start. Mind you I am not saying that this is HERE the case. Just being hypothetical.

If this is the reason why the question is posed this way then I think it is impolite to the forum members.
The person posing the question is in that case to lazy to put any effort in their hobby.

You could start reading books, forums, websites and whatever free and commercial available information is around.

On a Dutch forum I read all 300 posts before I even made a comment or started a topic.
On the famous Winepress forum I have read (lurked) all the posts in the General winemaking area (and that is thousands) before I started posting myself. And still I learn each day.
Now I know that this way to much for most of you.
But at least it will give you a hint of which information to provide for getting some good answers to your problem.

But if you are not willing to do anything yourself (and that is what this original question is implying) why even start a hobby.

Go out and buy some wine.

Luc

I see where you are coming from, Luc, but I still have to disagree. I can understand if you don't want to help or respond to a poster because they didn't include all of the information you feel you need to be helpful, but slamming them isn't really cool either.

Steve could have simply asked for more information without the slamming tone or if he had simply moved on and ignored the post altogether.

As you said, most people aren't going to read every existing post on a message board before posting their question, especially if they are new and worried because their first batch isn't behaving as expected. I know I won't... I can't. I can do a few searches, but if they come up empty I'm going to post a question. I'd love to devote that much time to my hobby, but I have a job, family, and other responsibilities that dictate that I can't spend my days reading old posts. I already spend a lot of time keeping up with the new posts. I'd spend years just reading message boards with no time to actually try making wine if I tried to read all of the historical threads. LOL

It's probably useless to argue this point anymore as the lady hasn't returned.
Politeness does go a long way even for us that are new to the sport of wine making/learning
I by no way mean to be antagonistic in this reply' just mu humble thoughts
Jerry

Last edited:
I started making wine in 1973. What may seem very mundane and simple to me may be overwhelming to someone who has not made wine before. Sometimes my thoughts are along the line of why don't you read a wine book? But I can remember my first wine and everything was turning to crap. I panicked. To me it was an all out 911 emergency. I didn't have the forums to turn to. I fortunately met a guy who made commercial wine and he listened to me. He told me not to panic. He didn't call me an idiot because I was too stupid to ask questions or tell him where I was in the wine making. He just realized I was in total panic mode because my wine needed immediate help. Just a humble opinion. An added thought. My wife said I never had a humble thought in my entire life.

Enough of this already guys/gals. I do agree, post a descriptive question with as much info as possible, and also in the title of your question. Steves a good man, just caught him on a bad day. Of course he enjoys helping us, or he wouldn't6 do it at all. I nominate him for moderator! This is a great site, needs a little refining, but good for us to have it. I go to a computer forumn that'll get even more mad about less. Describe your question fully, or try to, simple as that. happy wining(wine-ing). Just My Thoughts, Troy

Funny you should mention nominating Steve for moderator. When I first joined, I thought he was either a moderator or that he may have even run the board because he was everywhere and active on pretty much all of the posts. If I didn't already know otherwise, I'd think he and Luc were running/moderating the board. LOL

In no way was I trying to attack Steve. Sorry if it seemed that way.

Latest posts

Back