My wife just keeps on getting better!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been there...done that. One of our best anniversary trips.

You got a good one, don't mess it up!

LMAO!!! After 22 years (I think), I hope that I can still keep her around...LOL

Don't forget to take a drive before you visit the wineries Northern California is so BEAUTIFUL!

Must do list..

1) take the drive up to Korbel, then continue up towards Jenson. Well worth the trip.

2) visit the "old Faithful" gyser. (not the one in Yellowstone, but the one in napa). Take along a packed lunch.

3) visit the petrified forest.

4) hike the John Muhr woods.

5) visit wineries. I prefer the ones on Silverado trail.

Cool, thanks! I want to visit Chateau Montelena, if not for anything else, to say that I visited the people that changed the face of winemaking.

Tom,
you got a good one there!

My wife Went to California and took a napa tour, but took her mother (they were visiting her brother)Of course for our 10 year annivesary, my wife want to go back to the Bahamas (the sight of our honeymoon). So we can spend the day sitting on the beach getting faced on all inclusive daiquiris!!!!

Cool, thanks! I want to visit Chateau Montelena, if not for anything else, to say that I visited the people that changed the face of winemaking.

Funny you should say that..

We have this place out by us that is a 3 star michellen rated restaurant. They have a lot of events. On April 2, they are having a Chateau Montelena wine dinner. The guests will be Bo Barrett and his wife Heidi.....

"Join us for a very special evening with Napa's premier winemaking couple, Bo Barrett, CEO and Executive Winemaster of Chateau Montelena, and Heidi Barrett, Proprietor and Winemaker for La Sirena Winery. Together they share their wines and stories alongside our cuisine. Reception for this unique four-course dinner begins at 6:30pm"

It turns out that tickets are 275.00 each. There were tickets available, but they were just too expensive.

Two tickets would be more expensive than a new 60 gal barrel!

We were there back in July of 2010. Very cool winery. They don't have a tour per say but they were working a lot around the winery steam cleaning barrels, etc. the day we were there and the doors were open to the winery and I got to poke my head in and take a few snaps. We did a tasting. $20 a pop for like 5 wines. Bought some souvenirs (they have a lot of stuff). They have a bottle of the 73 Chardonnay and a nice little "Bottle Shock" area with some photos of Bo and Jim Barrett and the actors that portrayed them in the movie. Wines are crazy high for the scores they are receiving so did not purchase any. Grounds are nice.

DSC00539.jpg

I am going to throw in a vote for going to Sonoma, Mendecino County and/or/instead of Napa. They make some really good wines in both of those. It seems the further you get from Napa County, the less expensive tasting and wines become and the wine is just as good.

My wife and I like the spicy, peppery tastes you get as you go north. Two of my favorites are Selby Winery with a tasting room in Healdsburg CA (and there are several others in the same town that are very good) and further north up in Hopland you get Brutocao Cellars, they both have a wonderful Zin from the Russian River Valley AVA. Brutocao also makes a really good Port and a great Uber Tuscan. Also, try the Coro Mendicino at any of the northern wineries. They make it like a Chianti, in that most every winery makes them, they are somewhat rigid in the blend and then they all get together and blind taste. You might end up rejecting yours.

And no, I don't have any monetary interest in any winery anywhere, just know what I like.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back