My wife is not mad.... yet

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ianPGApro

Junior
Reaction score
So it seems my wife has bought into my new hobby :D. After reading and researching for the last few months I will begin my first batch this weekend (5 gallon's of cab sav).

I know I must be patient with each wine and the process.... but I'm already thinking of what I would like to do next/after I get this one situated. I have been reading a lot about other varietals and also blends. After seeing what a lot of you said in some of the blend posts. I was thinking it would be smart to have another wine if needed, I could blend later or keep them both on their own. I'm fully stocked on ingredients and equipment.

So I guess what I would like is:
Recommendation for a second wine from grapes varietal?
Who do you usually order from (I'm in FL)?
Any other ideas that might be good.

I will see how this one goes after fermentation and primary, then decide on how many grapes or gallons I will go with.

Thanks!

Merlot blends well with cab sauv. just Google "wine kits for sale near me" should find all kinds of wine supply stores that sell kits. as for grapes might have a problem but try the google search .with grapes instead of kits.

So it seems my wife has bought into my new hobby :D. After reading and researching for the last few months I will begin my first batch this weekend (5 gallon's of cab sav).

I know I must be patient with each wine and the process.... but I'm already thinking of what I would like to do next/after I get this one situated. I have been reading a lot about other varietals and also blends. After seeing what a lot of you said in some of the blend posts. I was thinking it would be smart to have another wine if needed, I could blend later or keep them both on their own. I'm fully stocked on ingredients and equipment.

Who do you usually order from (I'm in FL)?
Any other ideas that might be good.

I will see how this one goes after fermentation and primary, then decide on how many grapes or gallons I will go with.

Thanks!
Welcome to the hobby!! Here are some blend ideas from Wine Folly, many of which have Cabernet Sauvignon.

Famous-Wine-Blends-Infographic.jpg

A pinot noir, shiraz, malbec or zinfandel would give you a nice contrast to the cab. Might come in handy if you have company over and they don't like big, bold cabs.

At some point, you should consider doing a cab franc. Fantastic grape that doesn't get as much shelve space as his son.

H

A pinot noir, shiraz, malbec or zinfandel would give you a nice contrast to the cab. Might come in handy if you have company over and they don't like big, bold cabs.

At some point, you should consider doing a cab franc. Fantastic grape that doesn't get as much shelve space as his son.

H

Thanks, I will be reading a little more before I make a choice. Have you made your own Pinot batch? Are they as finicky as everyone says? or is that more in the vineyard it's self for growing.

H
Again Cab Franc is a better grape, its just such a under appreciated grape outside of france where its still widely used. And preferred as it ripens more reliably. I have planted a bunch of cab franc and intend to double my plantings next year.

Back