My Vineyard... Lot's of questions, need clarity...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jleschorn

Novice Vintner
Reaction score
Transplanted young vines last year, lost 3 to cold and the mid-season transplant. But generally they are doing well.

My first question is... My trellis forms a Y shape so to speak, so my initial intention is to get the trunk and two arms mature enough to make it through winter on as many of the vines as possible to minimize more first year efforts...

The Concords and Catawba's are the most vigorous, I am to the "2nd year" stage in a few of them and will be in most and a couple of the Reliance and Canadice vines before the end of the growing season.

So my question is this... How far do I let the cordons grow this season before I pinch? Is it purely a matter of where I want to start next year? Do I count leaves/length?

I have already altered my strategy on the slightly less mature vines, as I did not allow a lateral shoot to form on the more mature vines until I had them initially trained to the trellis, I am instead on the slightly less mature vines allowing a shoot to grow much earlier to fill that role so they should have arms for both sides of the trellis when I am ready to attach them.

Should I allow other shoots to form/grow higher on these vines? It seems the later in the season I get the more I need to focus on ensuring as much energy as possible goes to the main trunk to ensure some degree of winter hardiness.

Next year will be a bit of a challenge. I will have to plant a few new vines to replace the dead ones, probably cut back the weakest of the living vines to 2-3 buds to get a strong trunk. Then deal with the vines that are just going to make it through first year growth. Another batch that have made it through second year growth this year and are fruiting with a fairly sizable grape crop...

Don't get me wrong these are problems I like to have... But I don't want to make any big mistakes that will set me back another year...

Please comment, question, respond...

Thanks!

John

Leschorn Vinyard.jpg

Vinyard Y Trellis.jpg

pinching back the growth will only create multiple shoots to form at the end of the arm. good vigor can be maintained by proper fertilizing and irrigation. if fertilizer has not been added try a commercial fertilizer of 10-10-10 or 13-13-13, about a half cup spread around the plant. the plants should have about a inch of rain per week. with these elements sustained the grape plant should last the winter without any intervention. let them grow ,the root system is what is really important above ground vigor will let this occur. each spring you will need to prune to one cordon for placement on each side of the trellis, eventually you will need to have a spur going both direction on the trellis, probably next year based on growth in your pictures.
Once the trellis is full fertilize half the amount in spring and half in fall after harvest. the late application supports the root growth in the fall. search Google for grape growing information lots of it on web. also some good books on grape growing.

If you will be discussing aspects of growing grapes, I'd suggest including your location over there on the left where you see everybody else's. At some point, the climate and geography of your area will be a necessary item of information in the discussion.

Thanks for the information guys... I actually failed to mention that I did fertilize with some 10-10-10 already, so we are good there, next fertilizer is in the Fall. So I am in the Midwest, central Indiana. Will add that to my profile...

Thanks for the great feedback, will keep posting as questions come up...

Latest posts

Back